[RESOLVED] ext4 3TB = 2.73 or 2.68TB?

• Hello

I have OpenMediaVault amd64 installed on 64gb SSD and at the moment one 3TB WD Green disk as storage.
    I have formated it as ext4 but I want to be sure everything is okey since it's only showing me 2.68TB as total space,
    while formated as NTFS in a Windows computer shows me 2.73TB.

Under Physical Disks it shows me 2.73TB, but:
    under Filesystems it shows me 2.68TB and also when shared, the client sees 2.68TB as well.

How can I fix it? Already done "sudo tune2fs -m 0 /dev/sdXX" to clear the reserved space.

Also I booted with Ubuntu Live and made a partition on the SSD to also use as some storage space since the OS don't require much space
    and I was wondering if that is a correct way to do it?

Thanks in advance!

• Offizieller Beitrag

2.73 is the size of the disk. Formatting a drive uses some space. That is why you only have 2.68 TB in Filesystems. No way around that.

And yes, as long as you didn't make the OS partition too small, that will work adding the partition.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

2.73 is the size of the disk. Formatting a drive uses some space. That is why you only have 2.68 TB in Filesystems. No way around that.

And yes, as long as you didn't make the OS partition too small, that will work adding the partition.

Thanks for quick response :)

On the topic just for curiosity, do you know why NTFS shows 2.73 and ext4 shows 2.68?

• Offizieller Beitrag

ntfs may take up less space for its format. I don't know much about ntfs but ext4 is a journal file system and the journal takes up quite a bit space on a drive that big. On my raid array, the raid says it 10.92 TiB but the filesystem is 10.74 TiB.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!