New NAS build with Chieftec IX-01B

• Hello everybody!

Recently, I built a very small NAS. Due to my high electricity costs I simply had to change something, my big home server with 10 HDDs needs too much juice...including the UPS about 180W idle.
    So created this system:

AsRock AM1B-ITX
    AMD Athlon 5350 @2.05Ghz
    8GB RAM
    2x Seagate ST4000LM016 (2x 4TB, RAID0 with ZFS)
    1x Crucial M4 128GB mSATA
    OpenMediaVault 2

The case I used is a Chieftec IX-01B. A very cheap and cool case, but unfortunately, it's only for drives with standard size. The height of the Seagate HDDs is 15mm, not 9mm like other 2.5" drives. Another problem, you can only use very thin CPU heatsinks.
    Chieftec says, you can use 40mm heatsinks, but you have to subtract the drive's height. So in my case, there are only 25mm left for the heatsink. The boxed cpu cooler is about 22mm high plus the fan's height of 10mm, there are only 8mm left.
    But this wasn't the biggest problem. The HDDs are too high (about 3mm), so one of them was touching the RAM and as mentioned before, the other one collided with the cpu cooler.
    So I did some DIY work on that :D
    I had an Aluminium heatsink with dimensions of 90mm x 90mm x 15mm in my junk box. I just tripped two parts to make it fit in and cut two M4 threads into it for mounting. After that, I made a 2mm thick Aluminium plate for mounting the HDDs in a way, they would fit in perfectly.
    Finally, I could place two HDDs and one mSATA SSD (stuck between one HDD and the cpu cooler) in the case.
    Everything is running very well, the two Titan TFD-5010M12Z case fans are pretty silent if cpu is in idle.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Looks nice. How are the cpu and drive temps? Have you looked at power consumption numbers?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I configured a custome fan profile in the BIOS and used sysbench to find out the maximum CPU temperature.

Fan speeds:
    CPU temp idle: 46°C 2200RPM
    CPU temp full load: 52°C 3700RPM
    Drive temps: 28 - 32°C

Power consumption at idle: 22W
    consumption at load: 40-42W

At the moment I'm building my own PSU, because I don't trust that cheap picoPSUs from China. Maybe that will change the power consumption, the LM2696's efficiency is rated with 82-90%. The high range of input voltages will allow the use of various power supplies that lies around here.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Nice. I had a lot of the picoPSUs fail myself. Still good numbers. Are you using the backports kernel?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Not at the moment. Maybe this would help with the stability problem of my Realtek NIC. It's a RTL8168. I installed the driver manually, because the r8169 driver the Kernel contains doesn't work properly.
    In the past, I had the same problem with my big server.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would use the backports kernel. It should help.

• Using backports kernel since this morning. Until now, I didn't notice any stability problems with the Realtek NIC.
    However, if the network connection problems, after a night without usage, still persists will be clear tomorrow.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!