NFS does not work with host name but works with IP address

• Dear gurus,

I managed to configure NFS like this:
    Client: 192.168.1.110/24
    Privilege: Read only
    Extra options: subtree_check,secure,root_squash,anonuid=1004,anongid=100

The client is Dune HD Base 3.0 media server. Wireshark log shows it has host name 'tango3' and GID 0 and UID 0.

Issue: when I change IP address to 'tango3' - client cannot access NFS server... I need name (not IP address) because IP address of client is not constant.

Cheers
    /Max

• Offizieller Beitrag

The host name will be queried to the local dns resolver.

Does "nslookup tango3 192.168.0.1" gives the IP address ?

Also, IP address not constant ? Haven't you heard about IP address reservation in the router? Or configure a static ip. Do not rely on hostnames in your lan if your network is not properly configured.

• Thanks.

I see, and I traced already: yes, NFS is sending DNS queries to external server at configuring 'tango3'. Of course that server has no clue about 'tango3'.
    Yes, I keep reservation for a bout a week for each user in my router. But when returning back from vacation: need to reconfigure again. I will change to static IP on client side as you suggested because this seems to be easier than configuring DDNS or something like that.

Cheers,
    /Max

• I beleive that Client IP is set incorrectly.
    If you want to just allow a single host you would use a 32 mask, so 192.168.1.110/32 allowing only the PC with 192.168.1.110 to connect.
    If you want to allow anyone on that ip range, so from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254 you would set 192.168.1.0/24, a good solution if you are not using static IPs.

I dont know if it will help about the issue but just something I noticed.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!