How best clone the OMV system disk ?

• Before I start with VirtualBox I'm looking for a tool:

1.) to clone/backup/restore my OMV systemdisk
    2.) to partition the drive for other use

I found some live solutions but would prefer the possibility do start these prog's from the system disk,
    that means they should be permanent on the system disk.

If that's not possible, I would like to partion the system disk and run 1.) there

Markie13 asked in his thread : Is it possible to re-partitioning the boot drive with Gparted form a Ubuntu live cd?

Answer form ryecoaaron :So, yes you can re-partition with Ubuntu.

My question now: Can I start in the beginning with Gparted or is one of the different steps from :

http://forums.openmediavault.o…3911c96c24d4c66260a#p7181

absolutely neccessary ?

• The best way to backup the system disk is with Clonezilla. You burn an ISO and boot from it. It's pretty ez if you plugin an external drive before you boot. I don't have an N40L but I thought there was another way to choose a boot device remotely on an N40L. Why is no one booting from a Clonezilla ISO remotely. Is there something else you have to buy to plugin to the N40L to get this to work??? Aaron???

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't think you can choose a boot device remotely on an N40L. It doesn't have the remote administration stuff that real servers have. HP makes a card though.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can set it up to boot from a usb stick as the first device and hard drive as second device. When you plug your clonezilla stick in, it boots.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

The card probably cost more than a monitor and keyboard :) I also had both of my slots filled with e-sata cards.

• http://www.newegg.com/Product/…aspx?Item=N82E16816401170

IP-based KVM allows even for remote BIOS configuration

$82.99 it seems people have issue using it with certain operating systems. But if you could get into bios and change boot device. For me this is perfect server and leave iso of Clonezilla in optical drive. Didn't you say there is way to mount small ssd or 2.5 " and still have optical drive???? How many SATA ports does n40l and n54l have?

Anyone that has used this remote access card please give us some feedback.

• Offizieller Beitrag

There are six ports (even with un-modded bios - two just run slower at ata/33). There is enough room to get an optical drive and 2.5" drive in the top. Never tried but you might be able to get a 3.5" drive in there too.

Better yet... If you have this card, you can boot ISOs from grub (post - even has clonzilla example). Then, no optical drive needed :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

A lot of normal desktop users (especially Windows users) aren't used to the idea of remote administration. I've been trying to get friends to use VNC/RDP for years but they prefer a KVM switch. I do use it on my Supermicro board.

• You can't beat logmein. When using OMV, On a windows machine I vnc thru an ssh tunnel and then on my omv I have the tcp forwarding checked in the web-gui to get forwarded to the correct ports. VNC is not ez to setup, which doesn't bother me. What pisses me off is you can't do it with one program. I have to use putty to ssh and tunnel. Then I'm using Real VNC Viewer. I wish someone had everything u need in 1 package. There is one guy who had a program on android. I think it's called Bvnc or something. Debian is way behind Fedora in VNC too. Way better packages in Fedora.

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

There are six ports (even with un-modded bios - two just run slower at ata/33). There is enough room to get an optical drive and 2.5" drive in the top. Never tried but you might be able to get a 3.5" drive in there too.

Better yet... If you have this card, you can boot ISOs from grub (post - even has clonzilla example). Then, no optical drive needed :)

I will buy this unit : http://www.icydockuk.com/goods.php?id=141 see the video on end of page !

So I have a 2.5" systen drive and a removable backup drive . Fits very well in the NxxL machines.

• $300.00 server vs $80.00 ilo card. I've got the n54l - which is identical except for the processor. Also there are very few slots, many folks add in HDMI and dedicated raid - and now you have no slots open.

I'm not generally an HP fan, but the HPO ILO on the card is pretty good, but for me and my needs, not $80 good. I haven't used this exact card, but I'm quite familiar with HP ILO's and I've heard nothing bad about the ILO for the nXXl server's except for the cost. Right now I'm working on the wife to get another n54L in budget, on top of the UPS and first n54L I just bought - so I may have to wait on ILO for a bit.

FYI - I know of several builds keeping optical and sliding a 2.5 inch underneath in that top bay. There is a lot of space - I can take a pic if you want. With just a normal rail kit, I've been considering mounting a spare 2.5" I have in the space. There is also an external eSata port that I've seen people use although the cabling looks kinda squirrely when you route that back to an internal drive.

ssh someheadlesshost.buried.4000milesaway.net -l root
    ifdown eth0

Houston we have an idiot.

OMV 0.4.24 on HP n54l microserver

• I'm thinking abuot these things because I have an older Fedora/atom machine I'd like to replace with a n54l. I would get the card. I buy all this with just the money I save from not buying a copy of windows server.... I feel the urge to go on a Balmer rant again....

• Well even with only sata 3g and software raid, I can saturate my gig network on cifs for multiple clients while running torrents. My gig network is cat6e, done right. If you want to virtualbox/esxi it I would definitely get the n54l, but if your cpu needs are less - the n40l is identical except for processor, and probably available on deals - since the n54l came out. One other thing, if you need more than 8gb ram - it's not very straight forward. 8gb is max supported - many people have reported working 16GB ram, but I did not have the same luck with Kingston ECC memory in an 8gb stick.(I think the working posts I've seen were all using non-ecc memory)

I know UPS output is not a proper measure, but the n54L under load along with my 16 port switch consume about 40W.

ifdown eth0

• There is no 6g speed available at all. The bios mod enables 3g speed on all ports. It also lets you make them hot swappable. And no HP has not made an official bios release since the n40l back in July of 2012 and the n54l ships with that same bios.

It feels like a waste of the fancy new WD reds I bought, but considering I'm using it as a dedicated NAS and I'm able to saturate a gig link - not sure I really care.

Other downsides - only two expansion slots and those are quite space constrained, and USB 2.0 only.

ifdown eth0

• Folks,

Used Clonezilla Live (CZ) for the first time tonight. Burned it to a CD, and it works like a charm! For those who need a walkthru like me, I used http://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live-doc.php and followed it. For me it worked!

The reason I used it I had OMV installed on a 16gig CF card - less than a week, with no problems. Though after reading the many posts of how OMV works flash memory to death in short order. I decided to take the advice and throw in an old barely used 40gig 3.5 WD400 I had laying around.

CZ took care of the partitioning, formatting, copying, everything. Now my OMV system is on a hard drive. It booted just fine and everything I have setup works. YEAH! Time for a Dew!

Other notes when CZ had copied the system drive to the 8gig USB stick for the backup, the resulting folder was only 770meg in size. The backup and restore took about ten minutes each. It took longer to get OMV offline, get the box on the table, remove and install the hardware.

Looks like I'll be backing up the OMV system drive with CZ weekly. For me it was that easy. And I come from a Windows background.

Thanks to those who suggested CZ. You are appreciated. I would mention names but I don't want to upset anyone by forgetting them.

Dave

• Offizieller Beitrag

Good to hear that it worked for you :) Unless you make a configuration change in OMV, I wouldn't worry about making a weekly backup.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!