Error: "Failed to read file '/tmp/bgstatusfs2WVj' (size=0)."

• Hi,
    I just installed a fresh OMV 3.16.0 and I'm getting the following error in the web interface:

It appears most of the time when I try to save and apply my changes but sometimes I'm lucky and the error doesn't show up.
    Logging out/rebooting seems to fix it for "one saving".

I hope you can help me :)

Best regards,
    Daniel

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is no 3.16.0 version. Did you update everything from the Updates tab.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Oh sorry, I made a careless mistake. When looking up the version number I got into the kernel line.

OMV version is 3.0.36
    Kernel 3.16.0-4-amd64

I updated everything from the Update Manager Tab and my new OMV Version is 3.0.52.

That did not solve my issue. For instance I got the same error for checking for new updates and trying to upload the extras deb to the plugins.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is this on a usb stick? Anything in the logs?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• It is installed on a SD Card. I made sure to use a new, high quality one with wear leveling. Also it has a capacity of 32 GB so that should be enough space for the wear leveling to get through the installation without destroying the card.
    I've got similar errors when I installed it to a ssd but I didn't keep this installation due to problems with the network.
    So I guess it must be some configuration problem.

I couldn't find anything interesting in the logs. I looked into syslog, daemon.log and messages.

• I assumed that there might be some sort of a bug in the code. I was able to get it working again with some changes that I will explain now:

In the file  /usr/share/php/openmediavault/json/file.inc I changed the getContens() method to use php's file_get_contents()

Then I got an invalid JSON Error in line 217 (original file)

I checked the returned json string for validity and it was ok.
    Then I went to usr/share/php/openmediavault/functions.inc to check the is_json method and found that the
    regex in line 363 is responsible (but I absolutly don't know why because the regex looks fine to me).
    I commented it out and my is_json method looks like this now:

Now I don't get any "Failed to read file '/tmp/...'" errors any more and it seems to work great.

As I'm not very familiar with the project I'm unsure if my changes will break something in another place or what some sideeffects might be.

Also I found that there is a misleading error message in the read method:

In line 7 (source code from this post) json_last_error_msg() is called but as far as I can see if the $contents is empty the validate method will return false before json_decode can be called so json_last_error_msg() will return No Error, which is kind of confusing for the end user.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there a proper fix implimented for this issue?

Did you install from the ISO? What is the output of:

ls -al /
    ls -al /tmp/

• I installed using iso to bootable usb (used unetbootin-windows-625.exe to create bootable usb)

output for ls -al /

output for ls -al /tmp

• Offizieller Beitrag

What is the output of:

mount
    cat /etc/fstab

• output for mount

output for cat /etc/fstab

• Offizieller Beitrag

What is the output of df -h

• did you ever resolve this?

I am having the same problem after an update from stonerburner to erasmus.

Everytime I try to make some configuration changes or update/install plugins I get "Failed to read file '/tmp/bgstatus80tySW' (size=0)."

Also transmission seems to be broken, cant do any configuration changes and I cant get it enabled from the GUI because this error pops up all the time:
    "The property 'pexenabled' does not exist in the model 'conf.service.transmissionbt'."

Also this is "stuck":
    The configuration has been changed. You must apply the changes in order for them to take effect.
    And it wont go away when I click Apply or Revert changes.

I am totally out of ideas here and I think these are odd errors to have after an update... Any help ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Clear your browser cache to start. Then omv-aptclean Then try removing: rm /var/lib/openmediavault/dirtymodules.json

• i am also having similar error, with stuck "configuration has been changed" banner. omv-aptclean and removing dirtymodules.json did not help

SuperMicro CSE-825, X11SSH-F, Xeon E3-1240v6, 32 GB ECC RAM, LSI 9211-8i HBA controller, 2x 8 TB, 1x 4 TB, 1x3TB, MergerFS+SnapRAID