N40l Installation problems and constant errors

• Hi

I just got myself an HP N40l which I intend to install OMV on to be my media store. The server I have has been upgraded to 8gb ram and has a video card installed. It has a 250gb drive in the 5.25" bay at the top and a 3tb drive in the first drive bay.

On Wednesday I used a usb stick to install OMV on the 250gb and all seemed to go ok, I got users and groups and network shares set up fine and installed a couple of plugins, one of which failed a couple of times before I got it to work by installing manually.

Last night I started the server with a view to setting up the plugins however I couldn't log into the webif despite definitely using the correct username and password. I hooked up a monitor to the server to see if there was anything to see and was presented with a stream of error messages. I wondered if ti might have something to do with the failed plugin installs so decided to start again from scratch.

I tried a reinstall which failed due to existing files being found on the drive I was installing to so I used a live Gparte usb and deleted everything on the drive ready to start again.

This time it failed when trying to install grub, though it gave the option to retry which I did and it seemed to work and everything else did so too and all seemed well. I rebooted and it seemed ok, I could log in to the webif from my pc and it seemed alright but on the monitor on the server I was getting a constant stream of errors so I downloaded the syslog, an example of the stream of errors is below and I have attached the syslog

If anyone could give me an idea of what the problem might be I would be very grateful as I don't know what I'm looking at really or what the problem might be. Having got the serer and drive secondhand I'd quite like to get to the bottom of it asap as if it's something major I'll be needing to contact the seller to get it sorted.

I should also point out that I am a total noob when it comes to linux (or any coding/command line stuff) so any advice could do with being really simply spelt out for me... :/

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
    syslog_17_Nov_2016.txt

• Several questions :

- Did you manage to login sucessfuly on the admin web tool at least one time ?
    - Did you come to change the default admin password ?
    - What is the version of OMV you are using ? 2.0 or 3.0 ?
    - What is the type of RAM you are using ? 1x 8Gb ? 2x 4Gb ? Brand ? Specs?
    - What is the video card for ? can't you remove it to reduce overall consumption ?

OMV 6.x | Intel Celeron J3455 | 16Go RAM | USB2 32Go | HDD 3x4TO

• 1) Yes, I managed to get logged in with the default password and the webif seemed ok, had it not been for having the monitor plugged in I wouldn't have known about the errors

2) I didn't change it no, I noticed the stream of errors and just went to the logs bit and downloaded the syslog

3) Version 2.0 (I did select it in the thread creation... ;)

4) Not sure, I'll have to check that

5) Video card was in there when I got it, gives an hdmi and DVI output (which I've been using to hook it up to a monitor. I don't really need it in there.

• Might be an obvious remark, but the rrdcached plugin seems to fail at writing data on your HDD.
    I don't know the deamon/plugin but you can read the man for more info :

https://linux.die.net/man/1/rrdcached

At the end of the man there are several warnings about security and authorizations.
    Cannot hurt to read them quickly.

I hope this helps

• Seems like your HDD has some SATA chipset issues.
    Is it a secondhand drive ? or brand new one ? If you have a Seagates 3tb this smells bad... (but you can be given back the money in some cases)

Try to install you OMV on a new USB key (4gb USB 2.0 at least)
    Then boot on the key, mount the HDD.
    Deactivate all the plugins you don't need right now and activate SMART and System Stats
    Watch for any unusual temperature jump or read/write faults.

• It's a second hand 250gb drive that came with the server, the other drive I have (it's a 3tb Toshiba), I removed for the installation so I knew I was definitely installing on the correct drive

I thought about trying to install on another hard drive to see if it's the disc that's the issue. which would essentially be the same as what you're saying wouldn't it?

• I thought about trying to install on another hard drive to see if it's the disc that's the issue. which would essentially be the same as what you're saying wouldn't it?

The pen drive solution is quicker and cheaper in order to test.
    But if you already have another HDD for a fresh install I think it's not a bad idea to install directly on it. :)

• Only reason I was thinking of testing with a different drive is that I have one laying around which I could just pop in there.

If it works on there I'll get myself a new drive for my final installation.

My fear is that it won't work on a the other drive either in which case I'm stumped... seems odd that it worked fine initially.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!