What hard drives for storage?

• Hi guys! :D
    I have been using Openmediavault for some time and have it installed on several home NAS computers....I always try to think green in the sense not to throw anything while it is working...
    I never have my servers on 24/7.....on occasions with many TB's to back up but no otherwise...
    I was going to use an old computer donated by a customer who went over to a laptop....
    I am looking at NAS drives even if I don't have it going 24/7 but would always to good advice given here.... ^^
    Can someone give me an idea of what they thing is a good drive for a home NAS....?

bookie56

• I have a mix of both Seagate and Western Digital, and other than the odd drive failure never had any issues.

I do tend to gravitate more towards Seagate, but only because most of Western Digital are limited to 5400 RPM and that makes them slower in terms of performance/response.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think this is VERY informative....

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi Guys!
    Wow! a mountain of information here and I do appreciate your help.....
    I have waded through the data and of course is going to vary according to your setup and how many drives are running together....(vibration) etc.
    This is just a simple chassis with good cooling rubber mountings for the drives ....and 3 to four drives in use...
    I don't mind the slower spin rate....
    Yes, I see the HGST has 7200 rpm and the WD Red has 5400rpm but that also reflects in the price...at the moment the WD Red is 300 kronor cheaper (30.6 euro) each which is a lot of saving if you really don't need the faster spin rate...
    I will probably go with the WD Red....
    Because of never ending improvements to file saving....what format do you guys use/recommend for the drives and raid options that are common sense for a home system?
    If I was to have more drives in this chassis what would motivate that....in terms of raid solutions etc....?

bookie56

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!