Raspberry Pi Install issue

• I have made an image on a SD card for my Raspberry Pi. I have booted the Pi with the SD and it appears to boot and all seems OK until it is time to log in. I have tried both omv_3.0.51_rpi2_rpi3.img and omv_2.2.5_rpi2_rpi3.img versions with the same result. I am using the latest available Raspberry Pi with built in WiFi.

What happens is there is no GUI after booting. It comes up with a request in a comand line format for a logging name and a password. The text directly above the login prompt says the unser name is "admin" and the password is "openmediavault". I have tried these multiple times with both versions of the program. I also tried using the defaults "pi" and "raspberry" and they do not work either.

My impression (and it may not be correct) is that on booting the interface should be a GUI and I appear to not be able to get there.

Further info, I have tried this on a brand new Pi and one that is working fine with a different SD card.

What do we need to do to get this the OMV working? Any help will be very helpful. Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I also tried using the defaults "pi" and "raspberry" and they do not work either.

These are the defaults for raspbian not the OMV image. There is no pi user on the image.

My impression (and it may not be correct) is that on booting the interface should be a GUI and I appear to not be able to get there.

Nope. You should log into the web interface using the RPi's IP address. Everything is in the web interface.

What do we need to do to get this the OMV working?

It is probably working fine if you go to the web interface.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Nope. You should log into the web interface using the RPi's IP address. Everything is in the web interface.

OK, thanks now a follow-up. I cannot use the RPi after starting it up it stalls at the login prompt. You suggest going to the web interface but I don't think I can get there with the machine I'm installing OMV on. Should I do that with another computer? That does not seem to make sense to me. The above described image all that is installed on the SD card. How do I get to the web interface.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You suggest going to the web interface but I don't think I can get there with the machine I'm installing OMV on.

Correct. OMV is a NAS and usually is headless - no keyboard or monitor.

Should I do that with another computer?

Yep.

That does not seem to make sense to me. The above described image all that is installed on the SD card. How do I get to the web interface.

Why not? You can configure the system from any computer that has a desktop environment. So, just type the ip address on the screen into a browser on your Windows (or whatever) system to get to the web interface. Login with the username admin and password openmediavault

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• OK, thanks I will try tonight. I am then out of town starting tomorrow AM early until after the holiday. I will respond with my success but it might be a few days.

Thanks for the help.

• Still having issues, The Pi I am using is brand new with no OS installed. It is my understanding that the image I downloaded would boot - it does - and contain all that I needed to get started. Then I realized that the other Pi's I have needed to be hard wired to the Internet to fully install. So I then hardwired the pi to my router and turned it on. This time it did do a more complete "Set up". Unfortunately the only ip address I could get was 192.168.1.180 which appears to be a generic IP address. because the pi is new I have not had the opportunity to verify any unique IP address associated with it. Going on the web wiith the generic address got me nowhere.

I did go to the openmediavauit web site where I downloaded the image I used but I cannot find the web management interface the login page on my pi tells me to go to.

It may be simple but I am definitely missing something here.

• Offizieller Beitrag

192.168.1.180 is not a generic address. You should be able to access the pi at http://192.168.1.180/. If not, there is something going on with your network setup. You can login to the pi as root.

contain all that I needed to get started

It does.

Then I realized that the other Pi's I have needed to be hard wired to the Internet to fully install.

Once again, this is not other images. It is a complete image that was running and fully up to date when I uploaded it. You do not need internet but you do need a wired connection to use it. The first time it boots, it will resize the third partition to use up the rest of the SD card but that shouldn't stop you from accessing the web interface.

Login to the RPi locally (or try ssh) as root with password openmediavault and post the output of the commands:

ip addr
    ping -c 2 google.com

• I've just met this frustration, tried three sd cards etc but eventually got to login to the web interface without effort so here is my track should anyone come here again. (In reality I only needed to use one of those sd cards).

Get a really useful tool that is something like Network Utility (built-in app on Mac). Firstly you'll use this to find your RPi IP address to enter into the browser. Secondly you can do a Port scan on that IP to see if port 80 is open. The port 80 web interface is inactive during the 20 minute wait. Luckily I found this page to read about about the 20 minutes wait!

SO IN SUMMARY:
    Use etcher to put the RPi OMV image on the micro-SD ... etc.
    Boot and watch the screen. Don't try to login to the web console yet*. Wait 20 minutes or watch the network activity light flashing meanwhile. The system will do some update and reboot and then you can enter the web console.

*BTW When the text stops after an initial few minutes you CAN press spacebar for the ip address and a login prompt. You CAN login with admin and openmediavault but this did nothing useful for me. Best wait the 20 minutes.

• Offizieller Beitrag

SO IN SUMMARY:
    Use etcher to put the RPi OMV image on the micro-SD ... etc.
    Boot and watch the screen. Don't try to login to the web console yet*. Wait 20 minutes or watch the network activity light flashing meanwhile. The system will do some update and reboot and then you can enter the web console.

*BTW When the text stops after an initial few minutes you CAN press spacebar for the ip address and a login prompt. You CAN login with admin and openmediavault but this did nothing useful for me. Best wait the 20 minutes.

The readme mentions all of this - https://sourceforge.net/projec…/Raspberry%20Pi%20images/. Hitting the spacebar won't always give you the ip address. Sometimes, the system boots faster than the dhcp server can give out an address. So, it won't be on the screen. If you login with root (password in the readme), you can type ip addr to get the address or you can look in your router's web interface.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!