using a raw hard disk from a OMV2-VM under VirtualBox

• using a raw hard disk from OMV2-VM under VirtualBox on Linux Mint 18 MATE

1.) I installed the raw disk (/dev/sdb) wrapper (~/VirtakBox/sdb.vmdk) for OMV2:
    https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch09.html#rawdisk

2.) Assigning the wrapper to the OMV2-VM I got access-right-errors, though the access rights to the raw disk and the wrapper were completely correct:
    Assign the user which the VirtualBox is running with into the "disk" group. chmod the owner of the wrapper-file to the user which the VirtuialBox is running with. Change the group-rights of both files to rw.

3.) Then I gave "others" (all, guests) the rw-rights to the raw disk and the wrapper, hence assigning the wrapper to the OMV2-VM the access-right-error did not occur.

4.) Then I withdraw the access-rights for others to the raw disk and the wrapper.

5.) The access from the OMV2-VM to the entire disk still works !!!

Peter

2x OMV 3.0.64 / 64bit / i7 2600K + E3-1245 v5 / Kernel 4.9 / omv-extras 3.4.22

• After testing OMV3 under VirtualBox, I do NOT recommend this approach. It suffers from too many disadvantages. Now I will install OMV3 straight onto my host-machine and try out VirtualBox / Docker under OMV3.

Would it be sufficient to copy /etc/openmediavault/config.xml to the freshly installed OMV3 to move most of the OMV3 the configurations (maybe except plugins and some minor stuff)?

Peter

====
    OMV3 / Fujitsu D3417-B / Xeon E3-1245 V5 / RAM 16GB / OS: SATA-SSD 256GB / Data RAID1: 2x WD-Red-8TB / trying to run the OMV3-install-image on an Intel SSD 128GB M.2 4xPCIe NVMe resulted in "Unable to install GRUB in /dev/sda" - this is a Debian issue /

THANX for all the great work done on OMV3 !!!
    ====

2x OMV 3.0.64 / 64bit / i7 2600K + E3-1245 v5 / Kernel 4.9 / omv-extras 3.4.22

• Offizieller Beitrag

Would it be sufficient to copy /etc/openmediavault/config.xml to the freshly installed OMV3 to move most of the OMV3 the configurations (maybe except plugins and some minor stuff)?

No. Too many things would be different. You can use that file for reference if it helps.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!