Rsync Backup plan

• Hey friends,

I'm working on a backup plan using Rsync.
    OMV systems are backed up with Clonezilla so I'm just talking about data back up there

Here's the global setup :

Many sites
    Site 1 = 1 OMV + data disks with raid 1.
    Other sites access another OMV + data disk in the cloud.

I'm planning on making a Rsync between the 2 OMV modules (site1+cloud) everynight to sync the data so everyone access the same data @day+1

My concern is about the files that could be accessed during/between the process. I.e What's going on with let's say if 2 employees (one from local site 1, one from remote site using cloud) work on a file "test.txt" the same day. If it's sync everynights, then wich file would be really kept in the end? Is there a way to get both to avoid this particular case issue ? It should'nt happens a lot but I can't afford losing such files.

Any idea about the right rsync command to get the job done ?

btw, this is Rsync section, but I'd like the same from Rsnapshot eventually. Would it be good to use it there ?

Thanks a lot for your help :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Bumping after six hours???

My concern is about the files that could be accessed during/between the process. I.e What's going on with let's say if 2 employees (one from local site 1, one from remote site using cloud) work on a file "test.txt" the same day. If it's sync everynights, then wich file would be really kept in the end?

There is no magic fix for this. Last save wins.

Is there a way to get both to avoid this particular case issue ?

Not with rsync. You need collaborative software (google docs, onenote, etc) if it is a big problem.

Any idea about the right rsync command to get the job done ?

Use the rsync plugin.

btw, this is Rsync section, but I'd like the same from Rsnapshot eventually. Would it be good to use it there ?

rsnapshot is local only. You can rsync to/from another server and then do rsnapshot on that.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• There is no magic fix for this. Last save wins.

I'm definitely abusing your knowledge and kindness, but since Rsync compare both file size and modification time by default, is there a way by scritping or commands to make things like this between two files with same name :

check size only, if same size then overwrite
    if not then check last modification date and copy oldest with suffixe _old

(using the --size-only and the -b --suffix _old options)

• Offizieller Beitrag

size-only skips the file if they are the same size.

Personally, I think the -b option would make a mess of your backup and make restores more difficult.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Okay. Well I'd love to hear from someone who ever uses that -b option to see how it goes with them. Else id take your advice as final statement and find another solution. Thanks for your help, you are awesome !

Have a nice week-end people.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!