Which HD drives 24/7 or normal desktop drives for seldom use ?

• Hello,

I used my OMV NAS for a while with only two small drives for testing and archiving some movies and pictures.

Now I want install bigger drives : 2 * 4GB and 2 * 2GB

I will not run them 24/7 , only serveral ours a week when testing, archiving or see some videos / pictures.

Which kind of drives to you recommend ? Nevertheless the 24/7 ones or will the often turn on /off reduce their
    lifetime ?

What is your preferred manufacturer ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi there,

I checked blackblaze and will decide for HGST drives. Seems to be the most reliable brand.

The tested 4GB models HGST Megascale 4000.B are hard to get on german market and have only
    5400 rpm.

Instead the HGST 0S03664 is popular f.i. at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/HGST-De…mr1&keywords=HGST+0S03665

Bcs. that are 7200 rpm drives they consume about twice as much power. Opeating about 9W

My question :

Can the HP N40L microserver powersupply handle four of these drives ? Even when switched on and all four
    drives spin on simultaneously ? Can the 4 drives spin on one after each other, like scsi drives ? ?

I have the model w a 150W ps installed.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Bcs. that are 7200 rpm drives they consume about twice as much power. Opeating about 9W

Not double. Maybe 2 watts more at full read. They idle about 1 w different.

have only
    5400 rpm.

Why is this a problem? They are still more than fast enough to saturate gigabit.

Can the HP N40L microserver powersupply handle four of these drives ?

Easily. The cpu only has a 15w TDP and the system without drives only uses 30-40 watts. That leaves over a 100W for four drives. I had six drives and a raid controller in mine with no issues.

Even when switched on and all four
    drives spin on simultaneously ?

Yep. Even six is ok.

Can the 4 drives spin on one after each other, like scsi drives ? ?

No and not necessary.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• THX,

The specs for the spin on for the 7200 rpm HGST NAS drive is :
    1.2A, max +5V, 2A @ +12V

Then there will be 8A on the 12V line when NAS is switched on w 4 drives .
    I didn't find the specs of the Delta DPS-150TB A. ps to evaluate what the 12V can deliver.

As you mentioned 6 drives, then it will be 12 A @ 12V = 144 W. plus 30-40W rest of system = 184 W.

Maybe it doesn't matter bcs it's just the peak A for some ms ? ?

I think I must go for the 4G 7200 rpm bcs 5400 rpm HGST are in germany hard to get.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Maybe it doesn't matter bcs it's just the peak A for some ms ? ?

Those are definitely peak amps. 1.2A @ 5 VDC + 2A @ 12 VDC would 30 watts. I have never seen a drive pull that kind of power. The fan doesn't pull full load when starting either.

You are worrying about this too much. The N40L is a real server (not a desktop) designed to have four drives in it. It will be fine. I've owned three of them.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!