Plug-ins Not Supported

• After reading the pined posts, am I correct in thinking that the OwnCloud and the Virtual Box plugins are no longer supported. If that is the case, why aren't they pulled from the extras repository? Can these two items be installed via CLI?

• Offizieller Beitrag

owncloud is not an omv-extras plugin and is a core plugin developed by Volker but not supported any longer for OMV 2.x. It probably should be pulled from the 2.x repo but I can't make that decision. It was not ported to OMV 3.x and has never been in the 3.x repos.

virtualbox is no longer supported by the primary maintainer HK-47 but I have been lightly supporting it. It hasn't been pulled from the omv 2.x or 3.x omv-extras repos because it is working.

owncloud is just a php app. So, of course it can be installed via cli but don't use the debian package. There is a thread about installing it using the nginx and mysql plugins.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• This is going to sound a bit like a rant, so please forgive me if it does.

I have been running OMV (currently 2.2.7) for about 18 months. It is solving some of my goals for a NAS server, but I feel like I am losing ground pretty fast.

First off, one of the main reasons I chose to use the OMV project was the extensive number of plugins available. And God Bless the smart folks who created these things. Windows and NFS shares work very well. And the DNLA server is very nice.

But the two plugins that are mentioned in this string are pretty important to me.

Establishing an OwnCloud Server for my Family was one of my major goals, and it worked amazingly well at first. But not long after I got it set up some of the Windows clients started complaining that the server was out of date. And as investigated, this was very true - the OMV server running the OwnCloud plugin was very out of date. I am yet to find a way to update the server and keep it managed under the OMV framework. In fact I broke a lot of things and had to back out some attempts. I am more or less back to my starting point. And now I learn that the OwnCloud plugin is kaput. Ouch.

I agree, the OwnCloud plugin should be pulled in its present state.

Second, VirtualBox is pretty important as well. I really like the simplicity of using CrashPlan on my various clients that need backing up. There was no plugin for CrashPlan, and I did some early experiments with trying to run the Linux version of CrashPlan on OMV directly. No real good way to manage this though. The remote version of the CrashPlan GUI is a work in progress at best. So I got the bright idea of running CrashPlan in a Linux VM. And it seemed to work OK first. The big mirrored volume I assigned to the VM to do the backups to was slow but steady. However, after about a month it started to become very unstable. Lots of I/O in the CrashPlan log and other errors in the dmesg log as well for the VM. Sigh. Plan B needed for sure.

I turned my hopes to something more stable in OMV 3, but it looks like we are headed in the other direction with the plugins.

I am now contemplating my next move. Setting up a separate OwnCloud server is very likely. But I was hoping to keep this to one box, running all the time.

Is there a better way of backing up a mixed bag of Linux, Windows, and Mac clients other than CrashPlan (and keep the data on OMV)? I suppose I could virtualize my second server with oVirt and run both an OwnCloud and CrashPlan VM on it. (I really liked the plugin idea and one screen to manage the various services, however)

Many thanks to the folks that work very hard on OMV and its plugins.

Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I turned my hopes to something more stable in OMV 3, but it looks like we are headed in the other direction with the plugins.

I don't think getting rid of the problematic or rarely used plugins is moving in the wrong direction. Like I said, I will try to keep the virtualbox plugin working. The owncloud plugin has been dead for a long time but the owncloud/nextcloud thread has some pretty good posts on how to install it manually. Otherwise, there is docker.

Is there a better way of backing up a mixed bag of Linux, Windows, and Mac clients other than CrashPlan

Look at the urbackup and/or duplicati. There are plugins for them on omv 3.0

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!