Install Fails - Debian installer main menu

• I'm having problems installing OMV 0.4 from the ISO CD-Rom to a hard drive. It gets to the point where it is "Installing the System", then goes to the "Debian installer main menu", with "Install the System" highlighted. Selecting "Install the System" brings me to a screen that says
    "The target files system contains files from a past installation. These files... Proceed with installation to unclean target?"
    Then brings me right back to the same spot.

Almost any other selection from this menu presents me with the screen
    "This installation step depends on one or more steps that have not yet been performed. Choose an installation step: "Install the System"

Any thoughts??

Thanks in advance...
    Clement

• Offizieller Beitrag

What OS did the drive you're installing onto have on it?

If it were me, I would download and burn Gparted or Parted Magic (or if you have some other linux live cd laying around, that will work also), and do a full format of the OS drive... then try again.

• How many drives in the system? Are you setting up a dual boot? OMV recommends installing with only the system drive inserted.

ssh someheadlesshost.buried.4000milesaway.net -l root
    ifdown eth0

Houston we have an idiot.

OMV 0.4.24 on HP n54l microserver

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "akameswaran"

How many drives in the system? Are you setting up a dual boot? OMV recommends installing with only the system drive inserted.

AH.. Good catch.. I never thought he might be trying to dual boot OMV (which makes absolutely no sense in my opinion).

Guess we'll have to wait on him to clarify.

• 1 Hard Dive (IDE0 master), 1 CD-ROM drive. (IDE1 master)

Tried both deleting all partitions, and deleting and formatting as one big ext2 partition with no change in the results. Swapped out the hard drive for a different one, still has the same problem.

I booted a live linux CD after it failed, and used gparted to have a looksee at the partitions. OMV has is creating a 1.5gb linux-swap partition and the rest is a bootable ext4 partition with what looks like a complete file system. It does not however boot. It just hangs with a flashing cursor after post, with no error messages.

• Zitat von "KM0201"

AH.. Good catch.. I never thought he might be trying to dual boot OMV (which makes absolutely no sense in my opinion).

Guess we'll have to wait on him to clarify.

I want to dual boot with OMV ;) But just for testing purposes. However, we got our clarification ;)

anim8r:
    I've not had issues with installation, so I'm not sure where to look. In that complete file system was there anything in /var/log/dmesg or similar that might explain the behavior?

ssh someheadlesshost.buried.4000milesaway.net -l root
    ifdown eth0

Houston we have an idiot.

OMV 0.4.24 on HP n54l microserver

• I can't find anything that resembles dmesg or messages. There is not /var/log directory either.
    Is there an easy way to get logging in another terminal while the installation is happening, like a file that I can tail -f during the install to try and sort this out?

• Try "Ctrl + Alt + F[2-6]", then you should see, whats happening.
    Alt + Ctrl + F1 is the "default" terminal (tty) with installation-process

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!