OMV Physical Disks shows only one USB SSD disk on RPi 3

• Good day to all,

The Physical Disks tab OMV is not listing both of the USB SSD disks on my RPI3. It shows the remainder of the SD card and only 1 of the SSD drives.

The config is like that:
    RPI 3 - 16MB SD - 2x 250GB Samsung SSD on 2 cheap USB2SATA adapters.
    Using fresh install of RPI image: rpi_3.0.51.img

It is not a power supply issue as from the CLI both disks are visible and I could fdisk the partitions manually, create file systems, mount them and put files on them.

Maybe this is important information:
    1/ Playing around with different combinations of disk/usb adapter I noticed the serial number of the disk that is found to be reported from the Physical Disks page never changes, even if I swap the disk for another one it remains the same.
    2/ The partitions end up in the list of the File Systems tab but it is not possible to build a mirror raid array as these do not show up in the list where to select them. (this might have something to do with what blkid reports)
    3/ Both reading and writing to SMB shares from a Win10 machine is very slow, as in slower than 1MB/s slow. The Raspi is connected with Ethernet. On the RPi downloading some random file from the internet shows 6.5MB/s, still not fast but much better.

Some help with this would be appreciated :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Playing around with different combinations of disk/usb adapter I noticed the serial number of the disk that is found to be reported from the Physical Disks page never changes, even if I swap the disk for another one it remains the same.

This might be why it only sees one drive.

Both reading and writing to SMB shares from a Win10 machine is very slow, as in slower than 1MB/s slow. The Raspi is connected with Ethernet. On the RPi downloading some random file from the internet shows 6.5MB/s, still not fast but much better.

You expect an RPi to be fast? :D Look at the samba tuning threads. This may be caused by the cheap sata adapter too.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Well I started playing around with the different combinations because the thing did show only one single drive. My thinking pattern was like: As it is an all new system, something might have be dead-on-arrival. So had to test it out. And after testing the conclusion is that all the hardware works.

Nah, the RPi is not fast, Of course not, but this is like going back to 10BaseT or comparing snail-mail with e-mail 8o 1MB/s is not enough to stream a modest video... but this is something to be solved later.

What do you suggest as next step with the disks to make them have a 'different' serial?
    I still have 'noob' status and have no idea where that serial is coming from or how to change/alter it.

Thanks for your quick answer btw.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why not? I use an RPi for a NAS and a VPN, and both perform wonderfully.

It was a joke... Performing fast and performing wonderfully are two different things. If you are fine with less than 10MB/s for your usage, great.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Well.... got something interesting here.

Today both disks show up in RAID Management and I can build a mirror no problem.

Today we had several short power failures quickly one after the other. It cycled the RPi (and the disks) fully at least twice.
    Maybe I never did a full power cycle on the raspy and the disks all together. To be honest I don't remember exactly.

• The thing transfers files at 5MB/s now. that is a 5 times improvement compared to initial tests.
    This seems an acceptable speed to me given it writes on 2 mirrored disks connected to the same USB2 bus as the Ethernet connection.

This is a completely silent 35€ RPi, not a 90dB generating 3000€ enterprise server.

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is a completely silent 35€ RPi, not a 90dB generating 3000€ enterprise server.

I can't hear my server either because it is in the basement :D Since you aren't including RPi accessories (PSU, SD card, etc), for about $100, I can build a server that is many times faster, will saturate gigabit, use only a little more power, and be very quiet (guessing less than 45dB):

ASRock D1800M $55
    G.SKILL NS 2GB ram $15
    APEVIA ATX-VS450W $25

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!