Installing omv_3.0.51_rpi2_rpi3 image on a Raspberry pi3

• Dear Community ,
    I recently downloaded the omv_3.0.51_rpi2_rpi3.img.gz for my raspberry pi 3 BUT I think that the image has serious problems on USB drivers support. Here is my problem…in details..!!
    I have successfully downloaded the image , checked and burned 4 times on a SD 16Gbytes card. The raspberry pi3 was booting ok BUT when I attached my external case self-powered hard usb disk the problems started to appear and drove me crazy…!!
    At first it was recognized but could not mount the drive. (The drive was formatted at first at ntfs and then in ext4- that was not the problem though). Then when I reboot the raspberry pi3 with the above disk attached COULD’T boot at all ( blinking green and red all the time…!!!!) I was surprised at all because the dmesg command did not show any errors at all..!! Just keep looping all the time. After I have detached the disk and power of the raspberry the problem gone away…!!!
    I attached the drive to my ubuntu desktop pc and the above disk was seen fine. !
    At first I thought that the raspberry was damaged, BUT I decided after 4 attempts of burning the omv_3.0.51_rpi2_rpi3 image, to burn a different image from the official raspberry page. I burned the latest Jessie image and when I attached the above external disk was seen fine without any problems or endless loops.!

So as final thoughts I am convinced that this image — omv_3.0.51_rpi2_rpi3 — have problems with the usb’s drivers or so..!!! What do you recommend to do ???? Openmediavault is a good job and I must try it as an IT professional / support to choose what to do with my job. On the other hand the raspberry community has stopped the Wheezy image and after google search I realized that openmediavault can be installed manually ONLY on Wheezy in raspberry…!!! This is a problem and it should be a version for Jessie too.! So I have no other solutions here but to find an old Wheezy image and install manually the openmediavault to it to see what will happen.
    Please advice what to do !!! Do I need to try other of your images ??? I need your expertise on this please.
    Thank you and I am sorry for my long blog. ?(

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think that the image has serious problems on USB drivers support

It uses the official Raspberry Pi Foundation kernel. Not sure how to fix that...

I have successfully downloaded the image , checked and burned 4 times on a SD 16Gbytes card

Why did you burn so many times? New card? What program did you use?

Just keep looping all the time. After I have detached the disk and power of the raspberry the problem gone away…!!!

Is it a powered external? Sounds like your RPi isn't getting enough power.

I burned the latest Jessie image and when I attached the above external disk was seen fine without any problems or endless loops.!

The OMV 3.0.51 image is pretty much the same thing. I don't know why one would work and the other wouldn't. Did you give the the first boot time to expand the third partition?

So as final thoughts I am convinced that this image — omv_3.0.51_rpi2_rpi3 — have problems with the usb’s drivers or so..!!!

I do test this when creating the images but there are MANY usb to sata adapters out there. Seems like quite a few of them have problems with the RPi. I can't explain why yours works with the official RPi Jessie image though. Same kernel.

On the other hand the raspberry community has stopped the Wheezy image and after google search I realized that openmediavault can be installed manually ONLY on Wheezy in raspberry…!!!

No. OMV 2.x has to be installed on Wheezy. OMV 3.x is Jessie.

This is a problem and it should be a version for Jessie too.!

All OMV 3.x images are Jessie.

Do I need to try other of your images ???

Nope. I would use win32diskimager or dd to write a NEW card. Boot it without the external hard drive. Let the third partition expand. Install all updates in the update tab. Then plugin the usb drive. Also, you may need to add boot_delay, rootdelay, and/or rootwait to your /boot/cmdline.txt file. Google them.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Dear friend ,

Thank you for your reply ...!! BUT ..!!

1] I used both wini32diskimager and dd from ubuntu latest version . I prefer though the dd..!! Anyway I did it 4 times because I thought it was the SD card faulty .....BUT IT WAS NOT.!

2] How much time to expand the partition on a raspberry pi3???? . Only the red light was on last time I left it for 1 hour !!!!!!

3] If it is a Jessie version and the Kernel isn't touched by third party then explain please why the image from the official raspberry pi page played well and very fast I might say..!!! Your image had a lot of delays also ... I forgot to mention that.! I do not know how it will go on an pi 2 but on a pi3 is very slow..!!not only on the first boot..!!!

4] No , when I say a version for Jessie I mean a manual installation or source files to compile ourselves.
    Please be advice that , you of course all ready know , that raspberry is using an ARM processor which is very very complex
    and uses different kind of linux core instruction sets.

5] To understand please clarify this : omv2.x is build on top of Wheezy and omv3.x is build on to of Jessie???

6] My external usb case disk is self powered so there is no issue with the power in raspberry.!

7] NEW card why ??? The Jessie official worked fine.!

8] I haven't put any "boot delays" in my life for any linux type system which is correctly configured. If the kernel doesn't support the usb controller then it doesn't work at all..!!!

9] I have mentioned that without the external usb self-powered drive , the raspberry pi 3 is behaving as it should be. After I plug the disk , first do not mount it although the UUID is shown and secondly on the next reboot the raspberry is looping badly...!!!!! No errors on dmesg however..!!! No problems with original Jessie = mounted ok , and on reboot is rebooting fine with the external disk attached to it and on power.!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why so many exclamations?

1 - I use dd myself but I have had bad SD card and bad sd card writers. I have written hundreds (probably thousands) of images and have seen many problems. Four bad writes then one good write is not unheard of.

2 - I don't know. Depends on the size and speed of the SD card.

3 - I don't see these delays on my RPis. Strange... If the official image is so fast, then just install OMV on it - read

4 - What do you want to compile? I have been building this image for almost two years across RPi 1,2,3 and many other ARM boards. You don't need to compile anything.

5 - Yes. OMV 2.x only works on Debian Wheezy. OMV 3.x only works on Debian Jessie.

6 - OK

7 - See point 1.

8 - Using delays with the RPi and usb hard drives is very common. Look it up on the RPi official forum. Many systems have usb and/or sata boot delays built into the bios. Delays have nothing to do with kernel support or lack of support.

9 - You keep comparing it to the official image but the official image has very few services enabled. The OMV RPi image is a fully configured NAS image. With the RPi, the hard drive detection misses USB drives sometimes and therefore doesn't mount. If you run the mount -a command later, they will mount -OR- you can add a boot delay which will allow the USB drive to be detected and it will mount at the proper time.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Dear Friend ,

Here what I found .... I made some tests yesterday because this is getting very crazy , indeed ..!!!

I burned the omv_2.2.5_rpi2_rpi3.img.gz on the same sd card and I will summarize what I found..!!

First I have to say that this image is working with my external self-powered disk drive just fine...!! No loops , no hangs at all..!!
    It sees the usb controller just fine and mount that BUT ..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Firstly I want to say that on Jessie official image the repository and the commands do not work ..!! I have tried different things to install omv and nothing is working .....!!! Have unmet dependencies and cannot install the actual openmediavault package. This is happening on Jessie only. On the other hand Wheezy is working just fine . No problems at all.

NOW..... I will only talk for the omv 2.2.5 because I only manage to install this on my pi3 and not causing it to loop.!

I have to make a few comments on the Web GUI Interface of OpenMediaVault.!

First Error I encountered ..!! was about the monit service ( Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; monit monitor iscsitarget 2>&1) or something... I google it and I make corrections with ntpd deamon - I purge the ntpd service and so on.... endless hours to figure it out..!! The monitoring in openmediavault is sucks or making conflict because there are 2 ntpd deamons running ???? Ohh my GOD what an error is that??? Any way I do some magic and then I left alone the monitoring because it will produce the same error on every apply you make.!!! Awful..!! indeed.

Second problem I encountered. !!! was about the new mount of my external usb drive. In the Web administration GUI has the option to mount the drive but with what mount-name and under what permission or restrictions ??????????? Doesn't say ...!!!! Maybe I am blind but I did not find that or I have the ability to mount it to what ever I want or to change the owner or ...!!!!

Then I return to the good old terminal window and start to digging ... I found out that the external drive had been mounted as a big serial number (as a mount-name) , the same with the rest of my SD card space and the external drive was owned by pi:pi .!!! boom ..!!!! boom..! Well the image is responsible for this or the web GUI of openmedavault ????.! So when I create a user and share folders inside the external drive from the GUI administration , for someone to access the external drive has to be in the same group with pi..!!

Otherwise you get access denied..!! Well ok now.!!!!!!!!!! Really ???? The point is that this cannot be change inside the admin GUI and I have to do it from terminal..!!! well ....maybe I do not know , but I didn't find any other solution inside the admin GUI.!!!!

This is not good because web GUI supposed to give you full access to everything according to the manipulation of your external drives....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Third problem I encountered in the GUI is the SSH Remote GUI plugin..!!!! Could not be installed because of broken packages.!

Well.... apt-get update and omv-update finished well and without any errors at all from terminal window..!!! So where is the problem??? It says something on selinux or I do not remember because I was so furious that I shutdown everything and I decided to leave OpenMediaVault behind me.!!!!

I am sorry man , but my first experience with this GUI was not so good...very disappointing..! I do not know if the latest version is better but I cannot test them on my raspberry pi3 with the external self-powered disk attached to it. Anyway .. for me spending hours (which I do not have ) to fix errors and problems on the GUI and on the image , for me is time consuming indeed.

But I have to say that this is a nice job BUT it needs a lot of extra work to outcome these errors at start.!After all it is an open source ...!!

Have a nice day and keep up the good work ... I would try to follow you for a better update if possible ... till then

Thank you for your answers.

• I want to clarify something about the CD Readers/Writers ..!! I am using only brand usb writers/readers for SD cards.!

I am using the Transcend RDF5 USB3.0 Card reader /writer witch is one of the best I think , I never use cheap Chinese models and the one I am using is having firmware updates from the company. I am using it years with no problems in writing.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have never seen someone have this many problems on hardware which is identical to the hardware the image is created with. Your experiences with OMV on the RPi are not common considering the OMV RPi images average 2500 downloads a week. Not sure what to tell you.

First Error I encountered ..!! was about the monit service ( Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; monit monitor iscsitarget 2>&1) or something... I google it and I make corrections with ntpd deamon - I purge the ntpd service and so on.... endless hours to figure it out..!! The monitoring in openmediavault is sucks or making conflict because there are 2 ntpd deamons running ???? Ohh my GOD what an error is that??? Any way I do some magic and then I left alone the monitoring because it will produce the same error on every apply you make.!!! Awful..!! indeed.

You installed the iscsi on an RPi? There are not 2 ntpd daemons running either.

Third problem I encountered in the GUI is the SSH Remote GUI plugin..!!!! Could not be installed because of broken packages.!

ssh Remote gui plugin? What is that? ssh is already installed. Are you talking about the remote share plugin?

Second problem I encountered. !!! was about the new mount of my external usb drive. In the Web administration GUI has the option to mount the drive but with what mount-name and under what permission or restrictions ??????????? Doesn't say ...!!!

If you just use the web interface and give user permissions using the shared folder privileges dialog, you don't need to know what the unix level permissions are.

And please stop with all the exclamations...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!