ASRock J3455-ITX problems

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • ASRock J3455-ITX problems

      Hey!
      I got the new ASRock J3455-ITX board to build up my own NAS with OMV. I tried to install OMV 3 but I got no chance to pass the installation because it was so very slow. I think it is because of the Debian 8 system, which does not support the Intel Apollo Lake Processors.

      Instead of OMV 3 I installed OMV 2, which seemed to work but the performance is very bad. For instance i can't get full download speed with NZBGet. I installed Ubuntu 16.10 besides OMV 2 on the same system and the perfomence is great.

      I think the problem is the Kernel. Is that right? Is there any chance to get an OMV 3 verison with the lates Kernel that Ubuntu uses? Any other ideas? Will there be an version of OMV which supports the new Apollo Lake Processors? I think they are great for NAS systems!

      Thank you!
    • Install OMV 3.x
      Install omv-extras
      Click install backports button in omv-extras
      This will install the 4.7 kernel which is new enough for that system.
      omv 4.1.8.2 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.8
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers

      Please read this before posting a question.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • I asked Volker to make one but he hasn't finished yet. So, you have to options:

      1 - debootstrap: boot systemrescuecd or something new and follow this guide

      2 - Install omv 3.x on a different system and upgrade to the backports kernel on that system. Then move the OS drive to your other board and fix the networking with omv-firstaid.
      omv 4.1.8.2 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.8
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers

      Please read this before posting a question.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • Ok thank you very much so far! I first will try to install OMV 3 the normal way even it is very slow again.


      Offtopic:
      As u seem to be an OMV expert, can u tell me if there is any intern file browser for OMV? I'm used to DSM from Synology which is very comfortable and has an internal file browser to move files which sometimes is necessary. Also I'm missing a plugin for IPSec VPN server. The only thing i saw is OpenVPN, is that correct?
    • mrblonde wrote:

      can u tell me if there is any intern file browser for OMV?
      No but you can enable ssh and use WinSCP. It works very well. Since it is connecting over ssh, it moves/copies everything directly on the server. Has drag&drop as well.


      mrblonde wrote:

      missing a plugin for IPSec VPN server. The only thing i saw is OpenVPN, is that correct?
      OpenVPN and OpenVPNAS plugins. No other vpn server plugins.
      omv 4.1.8.2 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.8
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers

      Please read this before posting a question.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • mrblonde wrote:

      Ok I managed to install OMV 3 and added the 4.7 Kernel. But when I'm booting OMV and choose Kernel 4.7 in GRUB OMV is not booting. After initializationing ramdisk there is only a cursor blinking on a black screen and nothing happens. Waited for 10 min already.
      I would suggest stick with the keyboard and monitor connected to the mobo until you are done with all system administration jobs (i.e. editing source.list, updating kernel).
      OMV 3.x | Linux Kernel 4.9

      The post was edited 2 times, last by zzz09700 ().

    • mrblonde wrote:

      It booted by another attempt but took a very long time. I think Kernel 4.7.0 is not working properly for this system. Any other ideas?
      This can be the problem with newer boards sometimes. I'm guessing it needs a boot time parameter changed and/or try the 4.8 kernel from stretch (should be in jessie-backports soon but not yet).

      wget http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/l/linux/linux-image-4.8.0-1-amd64-unsigned_4.8.7-1_amd64.deb
      dpkg -i linux-image-4.8.0-1-amd64-unsigned_4.8.7-1_amd64.deb

      This is the same kernel version that Ubuntu 16.10 uses.
      omv 4.1.8.2 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.8
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers

      Please read this before posting a question.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • mrblonde wrote:

      Hey!
      I got the new ASRock J3455-ITX board to build up my own NAS with OMV. I tried to install OMV 3 but I got no chance to pass the installation because it was so very slow. I think it is because of the Debian 8 system, which does not support the Intel Apollo Lake Processors.

      Instead of OMV 3 I installed OMV 2, which seemed to work but the performance is very bad. For instance i can't get full download speed with NZBGet. I installed Ubuntu 16.10 besides OMV 2 on the same system and the perfomence is great.

      I think the problem is the Kernel. Is that right? Is there any chance to get an OMV 3 verison with the lates Kernel that Ubuntu uses? Any other ideas? Will there be an version of OMV which supports the new Apollo Lake Processors? I think they are great for NAS systems!

      Thank you
      Could you please tell me how you managed to install Ubuntu on this motherboard? What are your BIOS settings etc. I'm having all sorts of problems.
      Thanks
    • ryecoaaron wrote:

      mrblonde wrote:

      It booted by another attempt but took a very long time. I think Kernel 4.7.0 is not working properly for this system. Any other ideas?
      This can be the problem with newer boards sometimes. I'm guessing it needs a boot time parameter changed and/or try the 4.8 kernel from stretch (should be in jessie-backports soon but not yet).
      wget http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/l/linux/linux-image-4.8.0-1-amd64-unsigned_4.8.7-1_amd64.deb
      dpkg -i linux-image-4.8.0-1-amd64-unsigned_4.8.7-1_amd64.deb

      This is the same kernel version that Ubuntu 16.10 uses.
      Thank you so much! Now it seems to work perfectly!
    • mrblonde wrote:

      Please tell me what kind of problems do u have and which version you tried to install. I did nothing special in the Bios settings. Don't had any problems using the 16.10. amd64 Desktop version. Made an bootable USB Stick with rufus, changed to boot from USB (not UEFI) and installed it. Works even parallel to OMV.
      Thanks so much for your reply and for pointing me in the right direction. I had tried and failed to install various distributions using both bootable DVD's and USB sticks created with the universal USB installer and numerous different BIOS settings. Taking your lead I created a new bootable USB stick containing Ubuntu MATE and enabled CSM in the BIOS, I booted from USB - NOT UEFI! - and it worked :) I now have a working sytem! :) Thanks again.

      All the very best, Frank
    • Hi,

      I just got my hands on a J3455m too. Reading the posts here prepared me for a long journey to get omv running but in the end it worked great. What I did:

      - update UEFI to newest version
      - installed latest OMV3 version

      I did this because i had lots of time. It is incredible slow. Don't do this if you cannot spend the time. It will work though. Best way to install is using a different system and then moving your harddrive to the J3455m.
      After the install OMV3 works great, no performance issues. Only thing I could not get working so far is the system information. I just get errors when I try to take a look at the graphs. There are none displayed.
    • Hi there,
      I came accross this thread and was wondering if there is any progress about speeding up the installation on newer mobo's like the J3455?
      I have a J3455 mobo myself and it takes ages (aprox: 4hours) to do a fresh install of omv 3.

      I hope to see a solution the slow installation?

      Thx alot for your reply.


      Br
    • draddy wrote:

      someone get the graphic things working?

      when try to startx it allways say i have no display installed.
      We recommend against running a desktop on systems running OMV.
      omv 4.1.8.2 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.8
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers

      Please read this before posting a question.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!