Unable To Enable SMB/CIFS

• I have been running OMV 2.0 (latest) on my ODroid XU4 for about 6-8 months now with great success, and absolutely no issues with SMB/CIFS shares. Today, I decided to go ahead and upgrade to 3.0, and after learning the hard way that upgrading in place is a bad idea, have my server mostly back up and running (clean install of Jessie with OMV 3.0 installed on top). Unfortunately though, for some reason I cannot enable the SMB/CIFS service. When doing so through the Web GUI, I toggle the "Enable" switch, click Save, and after sitting there for a minute or two on the "Saving..." spinner, I just get a generic error that says "communication failure" with "OK" and "Show Details" buttons, neither of which do anything when clicked. After that I just have to reload the Web GUI or close the window.

I've searched every way I can think of, and can't find someone reporting a similar issue, so I may be unique (or, more likely, someone will immediately be able to link me to a solution :)). If anyone has any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated.

Odroid XU4
    8TB Main Data | 3x3TB Backup Data
    OMV 5.6.2-1
    Docker | Plex | MergerFS | Rsync

• If you don't mind the time....my recommendation is just reinstall 3.0. Upgrade is broken if you attempt to do it with a plugin that's incopatible (not ported) with 3.0. Just disconnect data drives and proceed to reinstall.

That is what I did. I tried an upgrade originally, but ended up just installing clean when everything was broken. Just re-flashed a Jessie image for XU4 and installed OMV on top of that. Everything seems to be working except SMB/CIFS.

Odroid XU4
    OMV 5.6.2-1

• A little more info after some fiddling this morning.

If I restart smbd from the command line (service smbd restart) it does start up, and in the web GUI it shows with a little "green light" indicating it is running, but I still cannot connect to any shares so I'm sure there's something else not quite right.

Also, it dawned on me that I should try to check the logs and when I try to go to the "SMB/CIFS - Audit" section, I get this error message:

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; export SYSTEMD_COLORS=0; journalctl --quiet --no-pager --priority='notice' SYSLOG_FACILITY=23 SYSLOG_IDENTIFIER='smbd_audit' --output=short 1>/tmp/logfileTms2nv 2>&1' with exit code '1':

Error #0:exception 'OMV\ExecException' with message 'Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; export SYSTEMD_COLORS=0; journalctl --quiet --no-pager --priority='notice' SYSLOG_FACILITY=23 SYSLOG_IDENTIFIER='smbd_audit' --output=short 1>/tmp/logfileTms2nv 2>&1' with exit code '1': ' in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/process.inc:175Stack trace:#0 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/logfile.inc(73): OMV\System\Process->execute()#1 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceLogFile->getList(Array, Array)#2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(124): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)#3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(84): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('getList', Array, Array)#4 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(516): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('LogFile', 'getList', Array, Array, 1)#5 {main}

Not sure if any of that helps, but maybe.

Odroid XU4
    OMV 5.6.2-1

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von jarodmerle ()

• Okay, well, now I went in and manually configured a simple share in smb.conf, and I am able to connect. Apparently it's just something with using the web GUI to update SMB/CIFS settings? Not the end of the world if I have to do it via command line; my setup is very simple; but would still be good to fix if there are any ideas floating around out there.

Odroid XU4
    OMV 5.6.2-1

• Sorry, can not say anything except that the exit code is 1 which does not say anything special.
    You have to check syslog for any useful information.

Yeah, unfortunately nothing shows up in syslog. I just cleared them and tried it again, and there are no new entries. Are there any logs that may not show up in the gui? Is there a command line script I could execute that does the equivalent that might give more verbose output?

Odroid XU4
    OMV 5.6.2-1

• Well for now does it work if you turn off the audit feature? That feature just logs file operations on the folder

Sorry, I don't think I know what feature you're talking about. The "Log Level" on my SMB settings is set to None already, if that's what you mean.

Odroid XU4
    OMV 5.6.2-1

• Sorry, I don't think I know what feature you're talking about. The "Log Level" on my SMB settings is set to None already, if that's what you mean.

Okay, so I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but I just tried enabling the logging option when I was enabling SMB and it worked. I then was able to go back and turn logging off and it saved fine. Not sure if that actually fixed it, but it seemed to for right now.

Odroid XU4
    OMV 5.6.2-1

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!