How to check the integrity of Hard drives? Seatools?

• Hi all,

I have a pair of 6TB WD Reds on the way ( :D ) but am keen to run diagnostics before using them.

Is there a way of running diagnostics such as SeaTools from OMV? Is a Plugin available? Is it possible to access a Linux based OS so that I may run SeaTools? Is it possible to install a virtual machine on my OMV box and then run Seatools from there to check the hard drives?

As you can prob tell from my questions - I am very new to Linux and NAS. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

NAS OMV 3.0.59 Rig: DFI Lanparty nForce4 SLI-DR | Opteron 165 Dual Core (no overclock) | 4GB Corsair Non-ECC DDR400 RAM | OMV3: 1x100GB IDE | Data: 2x 250GB WD 7200rpm, 2x 3TB WD Red, 1x 4TB Samsung 5400rpm

• Never used SeaTools, but you can run SMART tests from GUI, under "Storage"->"S.M.A.R.T."

You can also test every block of an unmounted disk using badblocks -s -n -v /dev/sdX in command line.

OMV 4.1 on Debian 10 @ HP Microserver gen8 [2x 256GB SSD ZFS mirror on root + 3x 8TB ZFS raidz1 pool]

• there is a similar post somewhere here already discussing this topic. BUT

"diego" > Seatools is a set of utilities from Seagate. they are intended mostly to use on Seagate drives but can be used on most other drives safely and productively. however the resulted information when used on drives other than seagate own, is kind of iffy and not 100% reliable. I would use it for generic broad troubleshooting, but would seek a second opinion most of the time.

as mentioned before here is the list of tools you can use to test burnin hdd, in no particular order:

S.M.A.R.T

badblocks

dd (yes you can do some testing with it but very very very carefully )

bonnie++

hdparm

HDAT2

Spinrite

NEVER MIND the script, it is not working on anything but unraid.
    if some one know hot to change it to make it more generic would like to see the results :)

you can also try the preclear_disk script from unRaid forum (again very carefully)here you can see how to use it, I am attaching the script it self to this thread. I know it works well but not sure if it works on any Linux distro or just unRaidkeep in mind though, that using this script on 2TB can take over 30 hours of run time.use screen to run process unattended on the server.How does it work? (item 4 and 5 are not important if we not using it for unraid system.)
    The script:
    1. gets a SMART report
    2. pre-reads the entire disk
    3. writes zeros to the entire disk
    4. sets the special signature recognized by unRAID -- not important as we would format the disk after.
    5. verifies the signature
    6. post-reads the entire disk
    7. optionally repeats the process for additional cycles (if you specified the "-c NN" option, where NN = a number from 1 to 20, default is to run 1 cycle)
    8. gets a final SMART report
    9. compares the SMART reports alerting you of differences.

Dateien

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von vl1969 ()

• Thanks for this guys..

I haven't had a great time with checking hard drives as my linux knowledge is very limited.

Is the use of 'badblocks' and SMART tests within the OMV GUI sufficient? i.e. to gain confidence in the reliability of the hard drives that I am using?

Thanks

NAS OMV 3.0.59 Rig: DFI Lanparty nForce4 SLI-DR | Opteron 165 Dual Core (no overclock) | 4GB Corsair Non-ECC DDR400 RAM | OMV3: 1x100GB IDE | Data: 2x 250GB WD 7200rpm, 2x 3TB WD Red, 1x 4TB Samsung 5400rpm

• Well, not so much reliability per see, just a reassurance that as of the date of test,hard drive in question is in good working order.
    Bad block test tells you if hdd is healthy now or on a verge of failure. Smart will give you an idea of the same as well as help you to make an educated assumption on hdd health in the long run.
    In omv the smart test can be set to be run automatically and warn you if hdd is failing beforehand, barring the instant catastrophic failure.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!