Would my hardware be enough ?

• Hi all,

I have wanted to install a small NAS and plex server at home but never moved done it.

At work, they are replacing the computers and I could grab a one for free.

It's a lenovo thinkcenter A70.

So the CPU is a Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 (2 core 2.93ghz)
    There is 3 SATA (It's probably 3gbs), one is used for the dvd player but I won't need that so could easily remove.

I want to use it to store my personal data, pictures of the family, video, movies etc.
    I would be using a owncloud to copy pictures and video from cell phone to the nas. (Mine and my wife)
    I would like to run a plex server to stream video to my living room computer instead of storing the movies in the computer, or tablet but it won't stream more than a device at a time.
    I would also like to be able to download torrent to it.

Is that CPU and rest of the hardware be able to do that ?
    OR should I be looking for other used material instead ?

Thank You

P.S. : If this is in the wrong section, please transfer it, I wasn't sure exactly where to go.

• for a small NAS should be enough, you didn't say what the RAM you have there
    but as long it is like 4GB or more should be fine.
    also if you do not plan to transcode the video with Plex all is good for streaming.
    I am not sure the video card on that machine is strong enough for transcoding.

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• for a small NAS should be enough, you didn't say what the RAM you have there
    but as long it is like 4GB or more should be fine.
    also if you do not plan to transcode the video with Plex all is good for streaming.
    I am not sure the video card on that machine is strong enough for transcoding.

I am not sure what's in, I will have to verify. I might have to open a few boxes to find the best one.
    The specs says :

• 1GB standard, supports upto 4GB maximum

I have seen 2 memory stick, so it's either 2g or 4g.
    It's DDR3 so I could test with my other computer who have 2x4gb if it will accept 8gb even if it's says maximum 4.

Does the ram make a big difference ?

You probably meant CPU, not video card.

I don't know if I will need transcoding or not.

As part as video card, I could use a GTX 660 in there, but will need another case cause of the height. And probably another power supply.

• I have a slightly less powerful machine (Core2 Duo E4700 @2.6ghz, 2 GB RAM) that can do everything you have listed. You should be fine.

For plex it won't quite be able to transcode 1080p, but doesn't sound like you need it. Just set plex media player on any connecting PCs to allow direct play and direct stream. This way the front-end machine will do the heavy lifting and put very little load on the OMV server. It will be able to transcode for 1 or 2 tablets just fine.

Don't bother worrying about the video card. You will use it once to install and then do everything from a web browser. My setup doesn't even have a video card...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!