OMV 3 on RPI 3 - Stunned!

• I just finished installing OMV 3 onto a RPI 3.

I'm stunned!

Using two (2) different Ubuntu desktops to watch two (2) different movies, through a switch on the same LAN, being streamed out of a single RPI3. USB2 on the RPI3.

Both movies are coming off of the same hard driver (7200, 64MB cache), through the same hub (for power) to the single RPI3.

There is no skipping or pausing.

Wow! Good job guys!

I paypal'ed a couple of beers yesterday or day before. Everyone should do the same!

:thumbup:

BBQ

• I'm interested in pretty much the same but with ODROID C2 :) I have read many threads on this forum but not found clear answers to my questions.
    My general tasks for this setup are: download torrents (i have 100 Mbit internet channel), store they at 2TB external WD BOOK (with own power supply, will be formated to ext4) and then, stream this content (720p and 1080p video H264) to one client - mediaplayer MAG 250 (via samba or nfs) or Samsung Smart TV (via DLNA). All network connections will be via ethernet cable.
    General questions are: what max download speed shall i be rich while downloading the torrents and will it be enough usb 2.0 transfer speed to deliver these contents to my media player ? Also these two tasks may be executed in parallel.
    I understand that for example ODROID-XU4 is more faster (USB 3.0) but it have the active cooling and more bigger price. Otherwise if it much better then ODROID C2 i will buy it :thumbup:
    Thanks for reply.

• I’m a complete newbie but finally got my Rpi3 NAS working and so far am impressed. I too set up a DLNA server and it works flawlessly streaming movies to my Roku TV. My plan is to use Utorrent to download movies directly to the NAS from my PC so I can stream later. I know I could just do this from my PC, but I really don’t like having to either keep it on all of the time or running upstairs and logging on whenever I want to stream a movie (I’m lazy, I know) Especially when the Pi is so much more energy efficient (uses 4-5w versus 60-70w to keep on all of the time) I’ve tried Plex on the Pi to transcode and got mixed results, it just doesn’t have the processing power to transcode and stream HD videos. Sometimes I was able to watch HD video with only a few hiccups. If it doesn’t have to transcode video, it works okay to stream.

As far as streaming HD video with your DLNA server, from what I’ve read and experienced you should be able to stream to 1-2 devices at a time. The Rpi shares a 10/100 connection between the 2.0 USB and LAN, so you don’t have a lot of bandwidth. IMO, you will probably have issues downloading torrents AND streaming movies in parallel…I would think the NAS would be maxed out at that point. I’ve tried streaming music/movies to my TV while transferring files between my PC and NAS and it isn’t pretty.

• DLNA just works (TM)

With my "intelligent" SAMSUNG-TV I am out of luck using NFS, a Wetek Vero4k hooked via HDMI did not fare better but I might hack it ... why?

smb/cifs does not work with my Debian 9/KDE and another Linux device I tried.
    I am not alone after searching the web for answers (like problems as far as 2009 back).
    smb works hassle free with Windows clients - go figure!

• ahhh I hadn't considered this. I just use a little rpi/3 running LibreELEC for an htpc (native nfs support) otherwise all my devices are set up to use SMB (oddly Mint seems to support smb out of the box but not nfs). Thanks for the info!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!