Installation of OMV 3 on debian jessie

• Hello

I read many threads and messages but I cannot figure a solution to my problem.
    I think it's a pretty common trouble so I decided to create this thread (sorry if the solution was already describe on another thread but I didn't find or understand it :( )

I installed debian jessie on my computer using two hard drives in RAID 1 following this partition scheme:

/
    swap
    /home
    /tmp

Then I installed OVM 3 using command lines. Everything runs well but when I wanted to create a shared folder, I cannot select any volume.

I learned that Openmediavault uses config files to list hardware configuration and that the gui must be used to configure OMV.

Is there a way to make Openmediavault support an existing configuration from previous installation?

(Sorry for my poor english)

Thanks for your work !

• Do you have any data drives?
    Omv does not support shares on os drive. Only data drives.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• Root and home usually on the system drive. OMV does not allow to use system drive for data. Hence if you only have 2 drives, you can only use one for system and second for data. If you want to do raid on both system and data you will need 4 disks.
    Now, since you doing omv over Debian, you can trick the system by partition the disks to have a system partition and data partition. If your drives are big enough it will work ok.
    I.e. let say you have 1tb drives.
    Setup md0 as system, md1 as swap, md3 as data.
    Keep os partition small, 32gb or 64 gb should be more than you ever need. Rest is data.
    Once configured you can move the home folder to data disk.

• But if I install from scratch debian jessie on a ssd, what will happen to the partitions /, /home and /tmp ?

If I use Openmediavault to make a RAID1 with the two data drives, they will be format as ext4 partitions but what happened to /home partitions ?

edit: it seems the previous message respond to my questions

• For now I got this configuration:

2 hard drives 4To each.

sda:

sda0 efi partition
    sda1 raid
    sda2 raid
    sda3 raid
    sda4 raid

sdb:

sdb0 efi partition
    sdb1 raid
    sdb2 raid
    sdb3 raid
    sdb4 raid

and I created RAID 1 like this:

md0 / (systeme)
    md1 swap
    md2 /home (data ?)
    md3 /tmp

vl1969, what do you mean by "move the home folder to data disk" ?
    I see in the GUI that we can enable home folder for users but which "home" is it ? The traditional /home folder or a home folder in the data partition ?

• You know I have not used schema like that for a while, I am not sure. Maybe someone from omv team will chime in with explanation.
    But I thought that even though you split your system main folders omv still treat it as system folders and not picking it up as data, hence you can not choose it for shared folder.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Unmount /home and remove the entry from fstab. Then mount that partition in the web interface Filesystems tab. Create a shared folder on the filesystem called homes. Go to the User section -> Settings tab of the web interface and enable home directories. Select the homes shared folder for the location. You can use this filesystem for data and home directories. If you really must have /home be the location of the user home directories, you will need to symlink to /media/LONG_UUID/homes/

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I though the /home and alike is treated differently over regular data mounts.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I though the /home and alike is treated differently over regular data mounts.

Not sure what you mean?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• well, like I said before, I only have a general knowledge in Linux.
    what I meant is that default behaviour of Linux OS is to treat /home /var /temp(tmp)
    locations as part of the system, regardless of how they defined. i.e. if this locations are setup as part of single "/" mount or separate partitions they are still marked as System locations, part of the overall OS setup and in case of OMV can not be used as you would a normal data drive.
    correct me if I am mistaken, but OMV will not allow you to use,as a data location and shares, anything not mounted in "/media" folder and more specifically anything not mounted via WebUI.
    I mean if you like you can do all that in CLI but it will not be managed by OMV. or it can be overwritten by OMV changes at later time.

your last post does just that.
    you told OP to unmount /home from CLI in the system, basically detach the home folder from the system.

than mount it using WebUI thus putting it under control and management of OMV, essentially telling OMV that this particular location is not a system location but a data hold.

and than using symlink to let the system use the new mounted location (a data hold space) effectively repointing the system /home to a custom location, again in essence reattaching the /home folder back under system control with a pointer, sort of speaking.

or am I missing something? :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

/home isn't important to the system. OMV does use it but I don't know if it would care about a symlink. I will have to try.

• Offizieller Beitrag

While I couldn't remove /home from a running OMV system, I did boot into systemrescuecd, mount the partition, rmdir home, and make a symlink to /media/LONG_UUID/homes that was created and mounted by the web interface. Everything seems to be working fine.

• oh ,I am sure it will work fine, I have heard about moving the /home and some other folders into different locations etc.
    all I meant was that there are several folders in Linux, as well as in many other OS I am sure,
    that are, though not overly important, nevertheless special and are considered to be part of the system.
    /home, /temp, /var, /opt are just a small list of such folders.
    and as you noticed already, you can not just simply move this folder around, at least /home you can't,
    you need to take extra steps to do so. and, again, even thought /home folder is not important for OMV
    it is part of the OS, and thus shielded from direct OMV interactions except to put user home folders there.
    if OP want to use that folder as a data hold (manageable by OMV) he/she needs to take extra steps to be able to do so. I never said it was not possible, just needs extra work outside the WebUI. :)
    personally I never done that, in fact lately I am not even doing system schema this elaborate anymore.
    just dump all into root "/" and be done with it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

if OP want to use that folder as a data hold (manageable by OMV) he/she needs to take extra steps to be able to do so. I never said it was not possible, just needs extra work outside the WebUI.

I only suggested it because extra steps are being taken anyway. My new phrase to people is going to be: just use OMV before you decide to change everything about it. I know how to customize everything but I just use OMV with its intended design. I think this is why I have so few problems with it.

in fact lately I am not even doing system schema this elaborate anymore.
    just dump all into root "/" and be done with it.

Yep :)

• the biggest issue I see coming up again and again here on the forum, is that many new user simply do not understand what OMV is all about and OMV basic working.

mostly, it is not obviously clear from general overview, that OMV will not allow you to use any at all part of the system(OS) drive for anything. that is, that except for very few exceptional cases (and that is not even an exceptions but the way a system works overall), OS drive is absolutely not accessible from the data hold(store) perspective, the users should view the OS drive as a locked black box, set it and forget about it for anything else but the system. this approach is not bad as it helps prevent any user data loss if system is housed, if OS drive is gone, replace it and add the data drives back and you are back in business. I have used this approach for a long time now. the OS drive is for OS. data is on separate drive always.
    I only deviate from this if the system has only one drive and nothing else, but than, I will not run this system as OMV or a headless server. thus the point is moot.
    however it takes an effort to realise this. Coming from windows I have realise this a long time ago.
    unfortunately, Windows take this paradigm in revers, in Windows EVERYTHING MUST BE on a System(C:)
    drive. it does like using anything but system drive. it can, but will resist every step.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I found that out when I first made the RPi image. People would put a large SD card in them and want to store data on it. That is why I added the third partition to the image. I go back and forth on whether this should be an option with OMV. Personally, I think everyone should use a separate OS and data drive but there are a lot of one drive systems out there.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can use a USB stick if you install the flashmemory plugin quickly.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!