OMV3 Migrate off USB to HDD for OMV Install

• I'm currently running OMV v3 in a "starter" system. I haven't fully loaded up my configs, but I've done enough that I don't want to have to reenter it all into the configs. I initially started running the system using a USB drive as the host OS drive. I've had some snafus that caused me grief, and so I decided to pick up a cheap basic SanDisk 120GB SSD HDD instead.

Is there an easy way to simply migrate the settings and configurations of OMV to the system after I install it to the new HDD? My guess is to just use the OMV backup plugin from OMVExtras, but I worry that it may have info relevant to the old install on the USB that could be problematic (references to wrong disk labels, incorrect disk numbers/volumes, other artifacts).

Any tips? Guides? References? - I tried some searching but the terms I'm using are bring up lots of non-relevant posts that I've been weeding through.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Use clonezilla to clone the usb stick to the hard drive. It should just work and I have done it quite a few times.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• For something like that, couldn't I just use dd locally on my machine? It may be more cumbersome to try and get a working Clonezilla live USB drive plugged into the system then haul it up to plug in a monitor and run the process vs just pulling out the USB, and plugging both the USB and the new HDD to my local system and copy across. It should be doing essentially the same no? Only difference being that dd should be copying ALL blocks vs used blocks?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yep, you could use dd but omv-extras can install the clonezilla iso that it boots from headlessly (uses dhcp and enables ssh). Then you wouldn't have to do all of that.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, it will work perfect as long as you can figure out the ip address it is assigned. The clonezilla ISO is downloaded to the /boot directory. You can set grub to boot from that entry one time. Then you reboot from the web interface and the system will boot from the clonezilla ISO in the boot directory. You log into the box via ssh and execute sudo clonezilla. You can clone to the new drive (if it is in the box). When you reboot from clonezilla, it will boot back to OMV.

Otherwise, just dd the usb drive to the new drive in another system. Put the new drive in and it should just boot.

• Hmm ok, sounds pretty simple. First hiccup, I'm not seeing clonezilla plugin. I found an older documentation of this process (so it's nice to see people have done this multiple times) - but the backup plugin that was specified in that post, doesn't show the clonezilla option. Is there something I'm missing?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I moved it from the backup plugin to omv-extras (kernel tab) for OMV 3.x.

• Worked like a charm! That was pretty quick and easy, nice little tool. Unfortunately I decided to do some BIOS/IPMI firmware updates, one of which made a change to how ESXi NIC's were assigned. Took awhile to figure it out, but once I fixed the vNIC assignments, we were back up and running flawlessly. So it took much longer than anticipated, but all set and running on the SSD. Took out the flash mem plugin and reverted the changes so should be in good shape now.

Thanks again for the direction and quick replies!

• Ok, so I was taking care of some other things and haven't logged in recently until now. I'm noticing that the volume that was copied has restricted the size of the new volume. Is this something I can easily alter by expanding the volume to use the whole contiguous space on the disk? One of the goals was a large disk and less concern over the USB flash not holding up over time.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is this something I can easily alter by expanding the volume to use the whole contiguous space on the disk?

People usually use gparted live which can be installed just like clonezilla (from omv-extras). You will just have to use ipmi to use the gparted gui.

• Hmm, not ideal, but I guess it will do. I can probably hook it up to a monitor/keyboard temporarily as the IPMI requires antiquated Java and causes all sorts of issues getting access these days. I need to look into a third party add-on version so I don't have this issue anymore.

Thanks for the direction though, that's what I figured I was in for.

• Offizieller Beitrag

IPMI requires antiquated Java and causes all sorts of issues getting access these days

I have the same issue with old versions of HP ILO2. I found using a Linux VM with the icetea jvm works until I could update ILO.

I can probably hook it up to a monitor/keyboard temporarily

You could take the drive out and resize it in another system as well.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!