Replacement server for HP N40L

• Hi

I have been pondering the idea of what i could use to replace my HP n40l its still working at the moment but i like to have a plan incase, its been running solid since 2012.

current set up is 5x3tb Hdds and 1 ssd for the OS. so the replacement would have to cope with this many drives as a minimum.

id like something that would take up to 8xHDD to expand with as well as been able to have the separate os drive.

Any ideas?

OMV 5 - 64 bit
    Dell T430, 16gb Ram, 5 x 3TB HDD Raid5, 1 x 120GB 2.5" SSD (OS)

• Offizieller Beitrag

What price range? What size of case?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• At the moment i dont have a price range just looking for ideas so i know what i possibly will have to save.

size wise i would like as small as possible like the n40l but i know thats probably not possible with the amount of drives i would like.

OMV 5 - 64 bit

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would use a Silverstone DS380 case. Then get an ITX motherboard that has enough sata ports or pickup a used IBM serveraid m1015 raid card from ebay.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Thats a nice case thanks for the suggestion. and nice that it has extra 2.5" bays shame not a couple more 3.5" bays but i had pondered the idea or mirroring the os drive just incase.

will have to look at mobos see if any have enough ports last time i looked they toped out at around 4

OMV 5 - 64 bit

• Offizieller Beitrag

shame not a couple more 3.5" bays

It has 8 3.5" bays. That is why you wanted, isn't it? I would put the OS on an ssd.

will have to look at mobos see if any have enough ports last time i looked they toped out at around 4

There are itx boards with 12 ports but they are expensive. The m1015 is a very good card that is highly recommended in the NAS community, easy to find, and can be flashed with LSI firmware. Much cheaper than buying a motherboard with 12 ports.

• It has 8 3.5" bays. That is why you wanted, isn't it? I would put the OS on an ssd.

There are itx boards with 12 ports but they are expensive. The m1015 is a very good card that is highly recommended in the NAS community, easy to find, and can be flashed with LSI firmware. Much cheaper than buying a motherboard with 12 ports.

Yes sorry 8 is what i would like to go to minimum i ment if it had more it would provide greater flexibility. but my plan at the moment would be to migrate the drives i use now which i belive is possible as omv would just pick up the raid thats allready set with them.then if possible any future drives would be bigger then the 3tb i currently have i know any extra space would be wasted in a raid 5 unless all the drives are the bigger ones but the plan was if any of the old 3 tb died they would be replaced with the larger matching drives as and when and then just grow the raid once all are replaced.

and the os is currently on a ssd.

and ok will have to look into the raid cards not much experience with them even thought i do work in ict and with servers daily. would you use the raid card then to create the raid instead of using omv software raid.

OMV 5 - 64 bit

• Offizieller Beitrag

would you use the raid card then to create the raid instead of using omv software raid.

I have done both on my server. I have two raid cards in mine. Right now I have two 2-drive raid 0 arrays that provided by the card. I ran an 8 drive software raid 5 for years though. I guess it just depends on how much speed you need and whether you ok with needing to the replace the raid card if it fails. Software raid can just be moved anywhere.

• I have done both on my server. I have two raid cards in mine. Right now I have two 2-drive raid 0 arrays that provided by the card. I ran an 8 drive software raid 5 for years though. I guess it just depends on how much speed you need and whether you ok with needing to the replace the raid card if it fails. Software raid can just be moved anywhere.

Yea i dont know what the speed difference would be but i use software raid 5 now on the n40l and haven't noticed any issues but all it does it serve media to the raspberry pis in the house which run openelec. it doesn't do a great deal just serves media to the pis and runs sabz sonaar and couch.

i liked the idea of the software raid simply as if the os\main hardware failes i can just replace the mobo etc or reinstall the os and it will see the raid and carry on. suppose depends on how easy you can get a identical raid card and price lol.

OMV 5 - 64 bit

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can use the m1015 in IT mode and use software raid. So, it is just being used as a sata card. That is how I used one of my raid cards.

• You can use the m1015 in IT mode and use software raid. So, it is just being used as a sata card. That is how I used one of my raid cards.

sounds good will have to look into this. been a long time since ive done any build or looked at hardware.

fingers crossed i wont have to look to replace anything at the moment, only reason i was thinking about it was due to the server failing the otherday (still cant work out why) which id love to know why, maybe ssd is on its way out.

OMV 5 - 64 bit

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!