Motherboard for an HP sas expander

• Hi,
    in my current setup I use 2 SAS boards: a reflashed IBM 1015 as SAS controller and a 24 ports HP SAS expander.
    Which motherboard do you suggest that could support this expander (has a SAS controller built in) and has those features:

IPMI
    ECC
    Xeon E31231 V3 support
    VT-x and VT-D well implemented
    2 10/100/1000 LAN with virtual machine offload engine
    1 PCi-e 3.0 slot
    Different x8 x4 slots.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would look at the asrock rack boards. I really like mine. That cpu only 16 pci express lanes so it is going to be tough to find a board with lots of pci-e slots. I also couldn't find a socket 1150 board that has NICs with tcp offloading. I guess you could add pci-e card to do that.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I would look at the asrock rack boards. I really like mine. That cpu only 16 pci express lanes so it is going to be tough to find a board with lots of pci-e slots. I also couldn't find a socket 1150 board that has NICs with tcp offloading. I guess you could add pci-e card to do that.

If I remove the "Xeon 1231 v3" requirement (socket 1150), and change it to any socket 1151 xeon, what you would suggest ? It is Ok eany board up to EATX.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sorry, from what I can tell, it is only found on the onboard adapters on higher end Xeon dual socket boards.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Thanks, last tru:

IPMI
    ECC
    Socket 1151
    VT-x and VT-D well implemented
    2 10/100/1000
    1 PCi-e 3.0 slot
    Different x8 x4 slots
    SAS Controller able to connect to HP Extender.

(Note I have added the last line and removed Socket 1151 and Virtual Machine Offload engine)

• Offizieller Beitrag

My system isn't a socket 1151 but it fits your requirements well:

Asrockrack EPC612D8 - single socket 2011-3
    Intel Xeon e5-2620v4 cpu - 8 cores/16 threads
    64 GB ECC
    IPMI
    4 16x pci-e 3.0 slots (can be 16/0/16/0 or 8/8/8/8)
    1 8x pci-e 3.0 slot (8x unless you are using m2 slot. then it is 4x)
    2 10/100/1000
    Runs proxmox and even has nested virtualization enabled for an ESXi 6.5 VM.
    No SAS controller on the board but I have two LSI raid cards in it. Cheaper to get those than buy board with raid builtin. I like mini-sas ports instead of sata ports as well.

My old system was a Supermicro X10SL7-F with Xeon e3-1285Lv3. It would fit the requirements for a lot of what you want as well. Little weak in the slot area and the onboard sas controller used individual sas/sata ports.

• My old system was a Supermicro X10SL7-F with Xeon e3-1285Lv3. It would fit the requirements for a lot of what you want as well. Little weak in the slot area and the onboard sas controller used individual sas/sata ports.

As a note, even with the individual ports, you can use an SFF-8087 Reverse Breakout Cable to use the SAS Expander OP mentioned along with the onboard ports. Make certain that it's a REVERSE Breakout though. A standard (or "forward") breakout cable won't do it. Cable is 4 SATA to Mini-SAS.

Of course, unless you've got a SAS backplane, you're then using forward breakouts to get to your drives, but there's no reason that should cause any issues.

• maybe you can try to use

Ordinary desktop computer cannot directly use SAS hard disk, SATA interface standard is one of the SAS interface standard is standard, so the SAS interface and SATA interface is fully compatible with SAS controller can directly manipulate SATA hard disk, and SATA hard disk can be used directly in the SAS environment;

To use in common interface on the computer desktop computer SAS hard disk, can be done using SAS expansion card.

• We have a platform http://www.hkin.com to buy multiple electronic products as a buyer for our company.
    We use this platform for more years, and most of the products we needed can be found.
    maybe it can also be helpful for your needed if you need to buy the relevant motherboard.

• No response has been received for a long time, how are you?

Would you please let us know if the problem has been solved. http://www.hkin.com is a recommend platform, it can help you to find the onboard adapters and electronic
    accessories, so on...We've been using this platform all the time, very useful. To share our good experience with you :)

• At present I face a technical problem and need to help solve it, as our company just bought some parts from http://www.hkin.com

but i don't know how to diy the circuit . i wonder that Solder disc, wire, overhole , Spacing requirement. please kindly advise it. Many thanks!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!