Missing physical drive after RAID 1

• I'm new to RPI and OMV so I'm testing out how reliable is the RAID 1 mirroring function. I have two 750 GB drives and I was able to set it up as a RAID 1 mirror for SMB/CIFS share fine. I thought to remove the RAID 1 disk and delete the share folder in the File Systems. Basically, I wanted to revert back to two drives operation and no longer want a RAID. Afterwards, I expect to see two physical drives, but I only see one?! I was getting really strange results, OMV seem to see only one physical drive no matter which one is powered on. Here are some testing results:

Let's call these drives A & B.

- If I power down A drive, OMV sees the powered B physical drive. Same serial #.
    - If I power down B drive, OMV sees the powered A physical drive. Same serial #
    - If I power down both drives, OMV does not see both physical drive. This is the correct behavior.
    - If I power both A & B on, OMV sees only ONE physical drive. Same serial #.

It seem after setting RAID 1 OMV is latching on one drive and one serial #. Even though I have deleted the RAID 1 and its share file folder, it seem to remember only one drive.

As a different test, I remove 750GB drives A & B entirely. I then try a 100 GB drive, OMV sees it. If I put in a second USB 250 GB drive, OMV sees it but now that 100 GB drive is missing (even though it's powered on).

Basically OMV after RAID 1 is setup, it latches to one 'physical' drive and one serial number. I can have two USB docking stations and insert different size of drives, it does not matter, OMV sees the last one powered on. It will report different drive GB size. It does not matter what size of drives I connect to the USB ports, OMV sees only one physical drive with one serial #. That serial number does not change no matter what. The biggest problem is that OMV is no longer usable. If I try to add new file system and try to mount, OMV kept gave me errors. Its internal disk table structure seem completely confused.

The only way I know how to make OMV to see two physical USB drives again is basically re-image OMV start from ground up. This is obviously not a desired operation.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I recommend against using raid on USB drives. Some people have problems with drives mounting on the RPi let alone a raid array re-assembling. I would just rsync one drive to the other on a scheduled basis.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

So what's the point of OMV on Raspberry PI 3 B if you can not RAID on USB? That's all RPI has, USB ports.

I know that. So, I am pretty much saying don't use raid on an RPi. OMV has MANY more purposes than just a raid array. My backup OMV server is a lot more machine than an RPi and doesn't use raid.

Raid is all about high availability and redundancy. Do any of those terms describe an RPi or USB to you? If your data is that important, you shouldn't be using an RPi anyway. I see an RPi as a nas to serve media files that easily replaceable and/or backed up. Using an hourly rsync job is good enough for most users.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• OK I see you point. I originally got into this because my NAS RAID 1 drive(s) was dying so I sought to find a replacement. I was surprised that it's a costly device at a minimum of $150+. I thought it'd be cheaper by now since my last purchase. So I researched and stumbled upon people building NAS RPI on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/result…query=raspberry+pi+raid+1

which piqued my interests as it's a cheaper option.

After a fun one day project and got it going I was all excited but decided I must do some testing it before put it into 'production'. So I decided to rough it out. At this point the result on PRI is a bit slow and the results validate your point.

I do have few questions as a novice.

1. Which version is the stable version? Is it 3.0.51 I should be using, or 3.0.41, or 2.2.5? And how come I don't see 2.1 as IMG but ISO. The link says 2.1 is the latest but it does not offer an RPI image.

https://sourceforge.net/projec…/Raspberry%20Pi%20images/

2. You mentioned using Rsync. Is this some kind of folder duplicating service? It looks so. Can this be used other than the attached HDs to the RPI? Another words, can I use it to copy files on periodic basis from other samba drives?

Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Which version is the stable version? Is it 3.0.51 I should be using, or 3.0.41, or 2.2.5? And how come I don't see 2.1 as IMG but ISO. The link says 2.1 is the latest but it does not offer an RPI image.

I would use the 3.0.51 image. The ISOs are for x86/amd64 based systems only.

Is this some kind of folder duplicating service?

Yes.

Can this be used other than the attached HDs to the RPI? Another words, can I use it to copy files on periodic basis from other samba drives?

Yes. You can use the remotemount plugin to mount a remote samba share. Then you could rsync to or from that mount.

• So Rsync may be an option to keep me from losing my files. Sort of crude man's mirror. Can you tell me where I can get this remotemount plugin? I'm still fluent on OMV plugins & options.

Also can you tell me what 3.0.51 offers that 2.1 does not have? Or, direct me to any resource to educate myself.

Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can you tell me where I can get this remotemount plugin?

It is only available on OMV 3.x. Install omv-extras and enable the testing repo.

Also can you tell me what 3.0.51 offers that 2.1 does not have?

Newer packages and it is the supported version of OMV. It is version I run on all systems.

• After swapping back & forth with two RPI boards, and using fresh OMV 2.2.5 & OMV 3.0.51 images, I have concluded OMV 3.0.51 seem to have problem seeing two Sabrent USB 3.0 model EC-DFLT docking stations. With version 3.0.51 it sees one or the other Sabrent docking station, not both. If I change it to OMV 2.2.5, then the problem disappears. I'm not sure why this is the case, but there seem to be compatibility issue between this particular model EC-DFLT docking station with OMV 3.0.51.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod…age_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So I guess I need to stick with OMV 2.2.5 for now.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Strange. They both use a 4.x kernel. I would think those would both work fine. There is amazon review that mentions it has a firmware update. Maybe that would help? Usually a newer kernel is better.

• I did updated it to the latest firmware cause I was having problem seeing large size drive above 2 TB. Sabrent support send me the firmware update and once patched I was able to see a 3TB drive. But the drives I was testing is only 150GB & 300GB so size should not be the issue. I would test it with another manufacturer docking station but I don't have other docking stations.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It isn't the manufacturer. I use the Sabrent EC-HDD2 on mine for testing without issues. Even seems to have no problems mounting drives after reboot. The Sabrent USB-DSC9 also seems to work fine but I haven't used it that much.

Bilder

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!