Right Way to Remove a Drive From the System Via Web Interface

• Hi guys!
    I am upgrading one of my servers with larger drives. 3x3TB WD Red. I have done a fresh install and added my new drives and given them ext4 and I have added them to the system and then created shares according to tekkb's thread here...for the first drive when creating the share the path was automatically populated as in the tekkb's thread but not the second or third...had to add them manually?

I then added my old drives so that I can transfer the files to the new drives....this went ok and I could access the files etc...

The problem came when I tried to remove the old drive from the system....I removed the share from SMB/CIFS and then tried to remove it from "Access Rights Management" "Shared Folders"....first I get a popup saying do you want to remove the share...."OK" but then I get a popup telling me this will erase the drive and do I want to continue? I did in this case because I didn't need the extra copy on the old drive but why did it remove my files?

Am I missing something...(as usual)? I thought removing the share would just allow me to unmount it from the system...wasn't expecting it to erase my files....

Help out an old fart....please!

I can go in via terminal and carry out the work there but like using the web interface....

bookie56

• There are two confirmations when deleting a shared folder from OMV via WebGUI:
    1. It asks if you really want to delete the share.
    2. It asks if you want to DELETE the files on the shared folder.

So if you want to delete the share to unmount the old drives but you want to keep the files on them, you have to click YES and then NO

Have a look and see what is OMV asking to you when deleting shared folders.

Hope it helps.

Happy new year,

DISCLAIMER: :!: I'm not a native English speaker, I'm sorry if I don't explain as good as you would want. :!:

My NAS:
    Always the latest OMV Erasmus running on an AMD Sempron 3850 @1.3GHz with 4.9.0 Backports Kernel
    with 120GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO for OpenMediaVault & 2x500GB Primary Data HDD + 1TB Secondary HDD for Backup & 2TB USB 3.0 External HDD for offline backup

Plugin list:
    Flash Memory, Locate, OMV-Extras.org, RSnapshot, Sensors, Syncthing, SMB/CIFS, SSH, USB Backup
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Zitat

The Schrödinger's code is that one which is going to work and it's full of bugs at the same time; until you test it, you won't be able to determine it.

• Hi subzero79!
    Thanks for the update...
    I haven't looked at the new release yet...going to wait until it comes out of beta..;)
    I have several servers and want to make sure it is OK...;)

Thanks again!

bookie56

• Just a little update to this thread!
    I have been upgrading another server and the instructions by tekkb are working according to his instructions!

bookie56

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!