New installation - some questions from former freeNAS user

• Hi guys, I want to switch from freeNAS to OMV and have some questions, maybe you can help?

1)I want to install the system itself on an external USB 3.0 HDD
    - As far as I know the system itself is loaded into RAM, so this option should be not a bottleneck for performance. Correct?
    - Procedure: download iso, unpack it to a flash drive, boot from flash drive and install to external HDD. Correct?

2)When should I connect the Data-HDD's, BEFORE or AFTER Installation?

3)Is it allready recommendable to use OMV3 (no problem with the effort for updating to stable when it is available)? Or would you recommend using OMV2?

4)Is the newest OMV 2.1 version allready on jessie?

Thanks in advance!

• Offizieller Beitrag

As far as I know the system itself is loaded into RAM, so this option should be not a bottleneck for performance. Correct?

No. That is how FreeNAS works but not OMV. The OS drive is rarely a bottleneck for anything though. You should be fine especially since it is usb3.

download iso, unpack it to a flash drive, boot from flash drive and install to external HDD. Correct?

Sounds right. Not sure what you use to "unpack" it to a flash drive though.

When should I connect the Data-HDD's, BEFORE or AFTER Installation?

After.

Is it allready recommendable to use OMV3 (no problem with the effort for updating to stable when it is available)? Or would you recommend using OMV2?

Use OMV 3. It is stable in my opinion. OMV is just a package. So, updates to it will be in the Updates tab. No effort to update to the latest and greatest.

Is the newest OMV 2.1 version allready on jessie?

No. OMV 2.x will always be Debian Wheezy. OMV 2.x does not work on anything other than Wheezy and OMV 3.x does not work on anything other than Jessie.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

With "unpack" i mean getting the iso conent on the flash drive.

I was more curious how you planned to do that? I use dd on linux or win32diskimager on windows. Just didn't want you to go through some unnecessary extraction process :)

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Hmmm... maybe i'm missing something.

Let me start otherway round: on freeNAS I had to download the installer-image file, burn it on a CD (or a flash drive, for example with Universal USB Installer) and boot from it. The system itself would be installed on a different drive - flash or HDD.

I assumed this would be the same with OMV... ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is the same. I don't know if Universal USB Installer works with the OMV ISO or not. Try it. Burning to a CD definitely works.

• yes it is the same.
    what seams to bring up confusion is your use of "unpack" rather than burn in your OP.

also, FYI, OMV does not work the same as FreeNAS
    FreeNAS is a special dedicated distribution designed specifically to be used as NAS.
    OMV is, let say, an addon to a standard Debian distro. so it is not loaded and working from RAM once booted. it is working from a system drive that it is installed on.
    you can instal and run the whole system from flash drive if you want. you do need to take some extra steps to ensure that #1-your flash drive is a good quality one, #2- use a flashsystem plugin to prolong your flash drive life (the plugin minimize the writes on system drive to minimum)

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• Yes, you allready informed me about this possibility in this thread.

Well... Then I'll install it in a usb flash drive. Thanks for your support, I'll report the results when I'm done.

One further question, I can't figure out what file system to go for, ZFS or Ext4... Recommendations?

• Offizieller Beitrag

ZFS or Ext4... Recommendations?

What do you use the system for?

• - 2(RAID 1) drives for sensual data - owncloud, business stuff and so on...
    - 4(i think RAID 0) drives for usual home use, photos, plex, teamspeak and stuff like that

how do you espacially seperate the file systems depending on their use?

• Offizieller Beitrag

how do you espacially seperate the file systems depending on their use?

As long as you have a good backup system, I would format all of the drives using ext4 (use btrfs if you are worried about bit rot) and pool them together with the unionfilesystem plugin. Then create a shared folder on the pool for each of your different categories. With this method, if a drive fails, you only lose the data on that drive (then restore from backup).

I wouldn't use raid 0 since you lose all data on the array if one drive fails.
    Unless you need the availability, I wouldn't use raid 1 either. I would just rsync the two drives on a regular basis.

• These are some nice thoughts ....

do I understand you right, that means

3tb+++2tb+++2tb+++1tb+++1tb
    HDD0+HDD1+HDD2+HDD3+HDD4-------------> btrfs formated, unionfilesystem-------> used for several shares (owncloud, plex, pyload, and so on)

3tb
    HDD5-------------> btrfs formated-------> rsync backup for some specified shares mentioned above (the necessary files won't be more than 3tb)

I like this setup.

Would you recommend installing owncloud, plex and so on as application on the base system or via virtualbox? And would the "owncloud"-share be reachable from that virtualbox "jail"?

• Offizieller Beitrag

do I understand you right, that means

Yep, that is exactly what I mean :)

Would you recommend installing owncloud, plex and so on as application on the base system or via virtualbox?

I would use the plugin for plex. I would either manually install owncloud/nextcloud using the methods on the big owncloud thread or use docker.

And would the "owncloud"-share be reachable from that virtualbox "jail"?

I don't use owncloud so I'm not sure about that one.

• I don't use owncloud so I'm not sure about that one.

I was just wondering if I could mount that share from the virtualbox with the owncloud installation. But I'm pretty sure this is possible.

This docker-thing, completely new to me. But if I understand it correctly its similiar to virtualbox, right? Is it a virtual machine running on my NAS?

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is kind of like Virtualbox but Docker is much lighter weight and isn't virtualization. It is a jail running on the OS using the host's kernel but has its own libraries allowing you to use different versions.

• It is kind of like Virtualbox but Docker is much lighter weight and isn't virtualization. It is a jail running on the OS using the host's kernel but has its own libraries allowing you to use different versions.

Exactly what I need! Great!

Why plex via Plugin? I mean in case of plex-updates I'll always need to wait untill the plex-plugin is updated, right?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why plex via Plugin? I mean in case of plex-updates I'll always need to wait untill the plex-plugin is updated, right?

I guess I prefer plugins if they exist. Probably wouldn't make a difference though. You will get updates either way.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ryecoaaron ()

• Ok, so far so good... Everything worked fine. Eccept docker. The whole docker - thing is new for me, maybe someone can help:

I've got a clean image of jessie where I want install NGINX (just for testing, I know there ist allready a NGINGX-image). I want this container to work as host in my network.

So here is the docker part:

and here the container

But if I start the container, my router is not reporting any new host. So how do I find the IP and the right port for ssh? Log is empty...

Here the outpout of details:

• You need to set the Network Mode to Bridge for the container to appear on the network.

Docker isn't a proper framework for VMs like that. It's not really designed to run a full OS. Docker is better suited for running containerized apps on a limited number of ports.

If you want a full VM, Virtualbox is better suited.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!