Newbie questions re/ drive mount

• Hi, all, and thanks in advance for any help. Please be patient and gentle; I'm extremely new to Linux in general and don't understand most of the acronyms and lingo.

I've successfully installed OMV v3.01.51(Erasmus) on a Pi3 (Armv7 Processor rev4(v7), kernel linux 4.4.30 -47+, attached a 2tb USB HD, and configured it so I can access the drive and various directories, save files to and from it from a Win 7 laptop, and stream audio files from it with RuneAudio (a quality audio player based on Arch Linux) on another Pi3. For you guys, that's probably nothing. For me, it was like running a mental marathon, but I enjoyed the process.

A couple questions, all of which I'm pretty sure are really stupid, but hey, gotta keep learnin'..

1. Saving files to the OMV NAS pi is incredibly slow.. about 2mb/s. Took six minutes to transfer one hires audio file. Rather than go through that torture, I'd like to just remove the usb HD attached to the OMV pi, hook it up to my laptop where my media files currently reside and do the transfer, then remount it on the OMV pi. The directories necessary have already been created using the OMV web GUI. Can I simply unmount the drive w/in OMV, remove it, hook it up to my laptop. transfer the appropriate files to the appropriate directories, then remount it? I'm asking before trying this because getting the thing setup and working was so difficult for me that, now that it's working, I don't want to mess anything up. I confess I don't really understand what I did to get it working; it took many tries.

2. IS a 2mb/s transfer rate typical, from a Win7 laptop on a wireless 802.11g to a Pi3 attached to a router via cable?

3. On one of my failed attempts to get OMV installed and running, I had found a place to "name" the device so that it appeared as "OMV Pi" on my network. Can't find it again, and it now appears as just "RASPBERRYPI". Not a big deal, but I've got two Pis now, and I'd like to rename it. Where the heck is it?!?

Again, thanks so much for any help. I can follow directions very well... as long as I understand them! lol...

Best to all.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von MuseChaser () aus folgendem Grund: Solved the Roku thing on my own.. found and installed the mini-DLNA plugin and all is well!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can I simply unmount the drive w/in OMV, remove it, hook it up to my laptop. transfer the appropriate files to the appropriate directories, then remount it?

What filesystem format is the drive?

IS a 2mb/s transfer rate typical, from a Win7 laptop on a wireless 802.11g to a Pi3 attached to a router via cable?

Yes especially if the laptop is connected via wireless-g.

According to the Roku site, I need to have a DLNA server setup on my NAS. Is that possible with OMV?

Install minidlna. Plex also has a dlna server.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks so much for your quick response! I found the mini-DLNA plugin you referenced, installed it, and it works! Rokus now have access to my NAS audio files.. wonderful!

The usb HD is formatted w/ NTFS. I chose that because I anticipated needing to use it w/ my win7 laptop to tranfer files. I do have a desktop that I installed Ubuntu onto a few months ago as part of the learning process, but 99% of my work is done on the Win7 laptop.

Again, thank you.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The usb HD is formatted w/ NTFS

Then yes, you can move it back and forth. You should shutdown your RPi when disconnecting it though. You won't be able to unmount since it is shared.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Great. The "unmount" button does toggle the status of the drive from "yes" to "no" but, if I understand you correctly, I don't have to mess with that at all as long as I power down the OMV Pi before disconnecting or disconnecting the drive.. yes?

Any ideas on getting the OMV pi to not appear as "RASPBERRYPI" on my network? I had it as OMVPI once.. so I know it's possible.. lol.

Really lovin' this software.. thanks for your help.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The "unmount" button does toggle the status of the drive from "yes" to "no" but, if I understand you correctly, I don't have to mess with that at all as long as I power down the OMV Pi before disconnecting or disconnecting the drive.. yes?

Yes

Any ideas on getting the OMV pi to not appear as "RASPBERRYPI" on my network? I had it as OMVPI once.. so I know it's possible.. lol.

Change the name in the network tab.

• 5. OK, I've managed to get Win7's filemanager and the Roku working again w/ the OMV Pi, but only by adding another shared folder, named "NewNetworkedMedia," but set to the same device and path (/networkedmedia) as the old shared folder, then sharing that folder in the DLNA server (for the ROku). I still can't delete the original shared folder I had named "NetworkedMedia" and it still says the device is n/a. When I try to delete that folder, that option is greyed out. It also won't let me rename it via the "edit" function. The folder is "referenced" which, I gather, is the reason I can't rename or delete it. How do I delete the references to it, and then the folder?

Sorry for the original length of this post. I solved 1-4 and 6 through trial and error and brute force.

Thanks again for any advice you can give re/ removing references and the shared folder that tells me the device is n/a. OR, alternately, figuring out how to show it the @$#@#$ device.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von MuseChaser () aus folgendem Grund: Solved all the other stuff by brute force and a lot of trial and error.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!