The highest speed between NAS and local machines

• Hello Gents,

I have NAS on the Optiplex 990 (i5, 8GB, SSD PM83 OS, and 2x Samsung HD 154UI for files), and lan speed 1000. Right now I can copy files with 85-88 MB/s speed. I am wondering what should be the highest speed if i have:

OMV OS SSD PM83 (sata III)
    2x HDD Samsung HD 154UI 5400 PRM, SATA II
    LAN speed: 1000

Thanks.

OMV - 6.3.1-1 (Shaitan)
    Kernel - Linux 5.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64

CPU i5-3570
    RAM 8GB
    HDD OS - WB BLUE 250GB
    HDD 2x Samsung EcoGreen F2 HD154UI 1500 GB (mirror) (max drive speed 107 MB/s)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Getting anything faster than sustained 115 MB/s is very difficult. The highest theoretical is 125 MB/s on gigabit. With the older 5400 RPM drives you have, you are probably getting the best result you can.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• roughly,
    lan speed 1000Mbps = 125MB/s
    most consumer hdd have 100MB/s sequential read
    (if you use raid 0 or similar, speed will be double, failure rate is also double)

you cannot exceed 125MB/s if you share files via ethernet (bottleneck)
    there is also filesharing program overhead

so.. I think your speed is normal

===
    changed unit according to @gderf's advice
    thx!

OMV3 on Proxmox
    Intel E3-1245 v5 | 32GB ECC RAM | 4x3TB RAID10 HDD
    omv-zfs | omv-nginx | omv-letsencrypt | omv-openvpn
    Click link for more details

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von luxflow ()

• @luxflow - You should either spell out bits and bytes or use their standard abbreviations.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• @luxflow - You should either spell out bits and bytes or use their standard abbreviations.

A small b is bits and a capital B is bytes, if you were talking about his Mbps statement.
    Or did I totally miss something.

Also I hooked up my external usb to my windows machine and I'm transferring files to OMV at anywhere between 105 MB/s and 112 MB/s.
    When I mentioned my speed earlier, I had the external hooked up to the OMV computer.

• A small b is bits and a capital B is bytes, if you were talking about his Mbps statement.Or did I totally miss something.

What you missed is that he edited the post to reflect my comment about bits and bytes.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Well, I have a NAS with 6 x 2.5" HD's a 2 TB and I have 1000er-Net. My Up/Downloadspeed is 118 - 120 MB/s ☺. The only problem is, I have changed my NAS from OMV to NAS4Free. A zfs-Raid is always faste than a Linux-Raid if you note the following:
    - use only Intel-Lan-Chips
    - Ram
    - more RAM
    - even more RAM
    And, zfs please nativ, not as a plug-in

Zotac H55ITX-C-E Mainboard,
    8 GB RAM,
    i3-540 CPU,
    64GB Samsung 830 SSD,
    4x WD-GP 3TB (WD30EURS) Raid5,
    Chenbro ES34069 Server Chassis
    OMV 3.x

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!