Someone here have Xeon + Virtualbox + Ubuntu server ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Someone here have OMV with some Xeon cpu using Virtualbox plugin with Ubuntu server? Please share your thought (perfomance, etc..)

While I don't now, I did for years. Started with dual Xeon 5320s and moved to dual Xeon 5520s. I ran my production email server (zimbra) on Ubuntu in the virtualbox plugin and also a database server (sql server on win2k3). The performance isn't as good as KVM (Proxmox) or ESXi but it is generally pretty good. Really depends on what you use ubuntu for.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Well, thx for sharing your point of view. I also use omv1.x + virtualbox in production for years (7/7 & 24/24), spec i5 15Gb ram and works as good as a Rolex (swiss made watch).
    This time I plan to build another "NAS" just For a ECM (entreprise content management). User about more and less 15 - 20..

So we will got : i5 15Gb ram RAID 0 6To + Ubuntu Svr + OMV 2.x + Virtualbox... Something like this..

Zitat

The performance isn't as good as..

Is there for you a lot of difference ? ... Please tell me more....

Zitat

also a database server (sql server on win2k3).

Why u dont use the plugin MySQL in OMV ? Its better to use with W2K3 no ??...

• Offizieller Beitrag

So we got : Ubuntu svr+ omv 2.x + virtualbox on a RAID 0 (=6To)..

I would never use RAID 0 on a production box.

Is there for you a lot of difference ? ... Please tell me more....

For an email server with about 15 users, the response time of Zimbra's web interface was quite a bit better on kvm/proxmox. Hard to give exact numbers how much faster but you could tell the difference.

Why u dont use the plugin MySQL in OMV ? Its better to use with W2K3 no ??...

I worked on switching from MSSQL to MySQL but I left the job before I finished. It isn't trivial sometimes to switch from MSSQL to MYSQL. I also would have used mysql on Linux. I hate Windows :)

If I were you, I would use Proxmox or ESXi (which is even faster than proxmox).

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Zitat

I would never use RAID 0 on a production box.

Ok I was sure u ll go for RAID 1 !

Zitat

I hate Windows

lol! and agree. Windows is good for desktop os.. Not for server...
    And just see now "SQL" not "MySQL" ! Sorry I read too fast ! :))

Zitat

If I were you, I would use Proxmox or ESXi (which is even faster than proxmox).

Thx for advice. I already use EXSi for our ERP (ubutu svr). I will reconsider the question just for the perf! But i really do not like the windows client of EXSi ! :(( ...

• Offizieller Beitrag

But i really do not like the windows client of EXSi !

With ESXi 6.5, it is recommended to use the built-in web client now. I rarely use the Windows client anymore.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am on ESXi and already miss the Soft Raid form OMV !

ESXi likes hardware raid controllers. Get a used ibm m1015 or dell perc h310.

• Hi,
    Someone here have OMV with some Xeon cpu using Virtualbox plugin with Ubuntu server? Please share your thought (perfomance, etc..)
    Thx !

I have 1 xenon and 12gb ram. I run omv + virtualbox and 1 windows desktop and 1 windows server. I think the speed is awesome. However you must run the system drives on an SSD since the bottleneck seems to be the storage. Ubuntu will benefit from being on an SSD just like mine. My VMs are on 1 SSD i would say startup for my windows home server is about 30 seconds or less. Used to be 1 minute or more with my old setup.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!