Debian vs Centos

• Hello all,

I being using Debian for a while, and I like it b/c it's easier to update & has a variety of packages.
    However, I'm seeing a lot of system admin using Centos for their web servers.
    Is it true that Centos last about 10 years, and Debian is last about 5 years.
    Debian can be upgrade directly, and Centos can't be upgrade ?

What make the OMV devs chose Debian versus Centos?

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

• Offizieller Beitrag

What make the OMV devs chose Debian versus Centos?

OMV developer/creator @votdev was in the past project leader of FreeNAS. His intention originally was to switch the core of FreeNAS (freebsd) to Linux. This was because of the lack of drivers in Freebsd (they take a while to get into the distro). I recall to experience this myself trying to install freenas (6.x) and there were no drivers for realtek nic cards. Then he later decided to leave freenas and make his own distro based on linux.
    The main reason could be that since the release cycle is shorter in Debian then you get more up to date kernel modules doing distribution upgrades.
    Anyway is a question for him to respond why he choose debian instead of RH based distro.

• Offizieller Beitrag

However, I'm seeing a lot of system admin using Centos for their web servers.

I'm a system admin of hundreds of RHEL/CentOS server and I still use Debian/Ubuntu/OMV at home. I'll let you imagine why :)

Is it true that Centos last about 10 years, and Debian is last about 5 years.

Yes but do most people use the same server for more than 5 or 6 years? Nope. Plus, CentOS/RHEL have no upgrade path between major versions and you are forced to do a fresh install. Debian/Ubuntu have dist-upgrade.

Anyway is a question for him to respond why he choose debian instead of RH based distro.

I wouldn't be using OMV if it was based on RH :)

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

How do you have time to manage hundreds of Linux servers and this OMV forum?

I manage hundreds of servers at work. I post on the forum at home and when I have free moments other times of the day. I don't sleep much either.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think you guys need more moderators.

We need more posting mods and more plugin developers.

• I'm a system admin of hundreds of RHEL/CentOS server and I still use Debian/Ubuntu/OMV at home. I'll let you imagine why :)

Yes but do most people use the same server for more than 5 or 6 years? Nope. Plus, CentOS/RHEL have no upgrade path between major versions and you are forced to do a fresh install. Debian/Ubuntu have dist-upgrade.

I wouldn't be using OMV if it was based on RH :)

How about fedora workstation?it has dist-upgrade:P

• Offizieller Beitrag

How about fedora workstation?it has dist-upgrade

And why would I use a full desktop environment for a headless server? If you would have said fedora server, fine but I still hate rpm/yum/dnf. And fedora is Red Hat's testing area. For a headless server (especially when most don't have IPMI), you want stability.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!