Choosing Hardware for OMV

• Hi,
    I was using a barebone Zotac Zbox CI323 Nano with 8GB of Ram and the OS installed on a SD Card (automatic wear leveling + sd card plugin) but the one I got could not boot up headless even if it should be able to (said the support).
    Because unit was already exchanged one time because of networking issues I'm now looking for a complete replacement and would like to get your opinion on this.

My requirements are:
    - x86 based
    - multiple USB 3.0 (external USB 3.0 Drives are used for the data)
    - Gbit Lan, preferably Intel (had problems with Realtek in the past)
    - (very) silent (noise from the drives are more than enough :rolleyes: )
    - (at least) one intern SATA for a SSD which will be used for data
    - SD Card reader - I would like to keep my SD card for the OS
    and it must be very reliable.

The system will be used mostly for simple network storage, backing up the data and syncing with offsite storage. It does not need to be powerful enough to run VMs but if it can it'l be nice too :)

I'm looking forward to hearing from you guys about what you could recommend, what brands etc. and what hardware you chose for similar requirements.

Best wishes,
    Daniel

• Why would you use an SSD for data on network storage ? SSD is for speed. It only makes sense as a system drive. For data storage a cheap 5200rpm drive will be still be faster than your gigabit network card.

Unless you need to frequently remove the USB drives to carry around your data (which is pretty much the opposite of what a NAS would be used for), you would be better off removing the drives from their USB enclosures and sticking them inside your NAS.

The best bang for the buck these days for a DIY NAS is still probably the Gen8 HP Microserver at around 200€.

• Thanks for your answer. I'll look into the HP Microsever.

The SSD was intended for silent operation as I'm still a student and I don't have a spare room in my apartment for things like a NAS. It just really gets on my nerves when I try to sleep and some device thinks it must read something from the NAS so all the drives are spinning up. I guess a big USB Stick or something could do the same but I went with the SSD in order for benchmarking when I first installed OMV on the device.

I'm a bit reluctant to remove the enclosures of the drives as they are relative new and I'm a bit worried about the warranty. So some free drive bays for internal drives would be great so I can put them in the NAS casing later on.

• Ok, that's a pretty important requirement that you should have stated from the start. If silence is your prime requirement, then you should be looking at a small fanless PC, like a NUC or one of those mini PCs that you can find on Aliexpress or Banggood.

SSDs are expensive though, so depending on the amount of storage that you need, it might not be reasonable.

• How about a dell t20
    It is not really quiet from the factory but if you do some changes it is a really reliable and fast system.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk Pro

OMV 5.x always up to date.
    Modded dell t20 into 19" rack case with Pearl LCD Display (Status Display!)

xeon e3-1225v3 / 32GB RAM / 1x500GB WD Blue SSD (OS) / 1x250 SSD (not used) / 1x1 TB Toshiba HHD (MultiDisk) / 4x 4TB WD40EFRX (Raid5)

• - x86 based

That's going to be a limitation... it already is.

I've a couple of old x86 laptops with limited RAM and for the most part even most modern Linux distros need x64 bit h/w. Same goes for even media center builds like OpenELEC.

Take a look at the Raspberry Pi. Its not gigabit LAN, but other than that checks all boxes and is extremely silent. I've 3 running various projects including a torrentbox that moves d/l to my OMV NAS... but it can function as a fast ethernet (100 mbps) NAS pretty well... I use it to stream over 3 TB of music via MinimServer, and the odd movie, TV show, documentary, etc.

Other than that many variants of SBC/SOC like Odroid will get you started in the right direction and some even with gigabit ethernet... but none have the s/w and the support of the community like the Pi.

Better still, buy a previous gen AMD or older CPU/Mobo or repurpose old h/w for OMV. I'm doing just that, a 2007 Intel CPU, 3 GB RAM, and OMV even runs Plex... though its main usage for me is a file serving NAS.

• Thanks for all your suggestions.
    I've got myself a HP ProLiant MicroServer G1610T. Some hours ago I installed OMV and now everything is up and running again.
    It's not a perfect match but very reasonable. The computer is not very silent but I'm thinking of throttling the fan a bit as (for now) the system stays cool. I guess I'll have to experiment a bit with it so it doesn't harm the hardware.

• Hi,

I'm using an apu1 at ipfire and will replaced soon by an apu2 with pfsense

I'm Not clear if the apu2 is good enought for an omv Server.
    There is only one msata and one sata
    Also the CPU is not a big player.

What did you Plan to do on the apu?

BR Robert

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

xeon e3-1225v3 / 32GB RAM / 1x500GB WD Blue SSD (OS) / 1x250 SSD (not used) / 1x1 TB Toshiba HHD (MultiDisk) / 4x 4TB WD40EFRX (Raid5)

• I plan to made a home router/NAS, I will take out already possessed 2x 3TB Tosiba-s (dt01aca300) from home computer and made with APU2 a router/NAS.

I think 1 drive will be enough of capacity and speed – instead of making a raid 1 I will attach a second drive to usb3.. and makes on them periodically backup (incremental backup).

So only APU2 and 1 drive will work on live 24/7..

At home I have some audio/video players (2xorange pi&1xcubox) – speed of discs for that purpose is not critical..

For now cubox with attached drive serve the audio/video files to others players.. but I wish to heave one place with photos, and personal documents..

So I plan to not heave additional magnetic drives on local computers for users files. For that I need some speed to not be disappointed. I hope that APU will be fast enough to send data from the disk over the network without special deceleration for 1 max 2 clients at one time..

• Are the audio/video players working with a file share?
    If you want to work with transocding the apu2 will not be powerful enough for such a purpose.

I'm also not a fan to do an router / nas at the same machine.
    A few years ago i was working with xen. Firewall in a vm and media server in an other vm.
    It was always a problem if the main system crash, everyhting was not working.
    So i decided to change that make a router and make a secound system for the media system.

I'm also not clear if omv is support the serial output.
    At pfsense and other distributions which works on the apu, they have all a spezial kernel, with serial support.

If you search for somthing powerfull which, have a look at the dell t20.
    I'm just build me the omv server based on this system.
    Found it at ebay.de from cyberport for 208€. The t20 has the same price level like apu2 and it is more powerfull.
    The power consumtion is only at 17W (with activate powertop and all all hdd in sleep)
    Apu2 need about 8watt without hdd.

BR Robert

• Maybe I wish to heave to mach for to less..

Soekris 6501 with atom processor will be great.. (maybe 2GB of RAM is not the best way) but the price for me is to high..
    (I bought a Audio DAC from Soekris - it's is a superb engineering.. by the way)

I wish to power router from Home Security Alarm.. in case of power down.. but in that way power consumption is limited to 12V x 1,7-2,0 A so max 20-24W.. or I will need to add additional UPS..

And I wish to close everything in a 10'' rack enclosure.. (I heave 6-8 U free)
    Transcoding.. for now I did not use trans coding.. Audio/Video players working with openelec and Kodi and they are playing everything natively - Cubox is powerful enough - only one movie since some time heave problem (HD) .. and rest with orange pi re playing flac and mp3 so no problem..
    and I think transcoding is the way to heave problem with stability.. so I will skip that..
    If the APU2 board will heave 2 or even best 4 SATA port the chose will be simple..

[edit]
    Is it possible to use a on APU2 mini pci expres card with sata ports. like this:
    https://pl.aliexpress.com/item…2114.56010308.4.31.TaaL3k

?

• Ok.. so mine build with Apu2 is quite successful.. APU2 with Debian jessy + OMV + shorewall + wifi for NAS + router + AP works nicely..

I connect two 3T Toshiba 3,5'' drives.. with btrfs one for "production" and one for backups (for now i just made it manually with tar.. but i need to configure something.. )..

I use 1 gigabit port for LAN so speed is limited by network but still 100-110MB/s with samba share is everything what I need for today.

Internally hdparm for ssd and 3,5'' drive:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!