New Install/New To Linux - RPi 3B Fresh Install OMV 3.0.59

• Greetings!

I am making my first forays into Linux with a Raspberry Pi 3B attempting to set up a NAS box using OMV with a 1.5 TB USB HDD. It's small, but it's all we need.

I've run into the problem that OMV does not seem to be registering that the device is storage and I'm stuck. I tried looking in the CLI to see if it was registering there but I've hit a wall of lack of knowledge that even google doesn't seem to be digging me out of. The drive is connected and I can hear it spinning the platters so I know it's receiving power. Below is my output from trying to troubleshoot this, I appreciate any assistance.

Thanks!

Edit: added syslog.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is the drive powered by the RPi or an external power supply? If it is powered by the RPi, the power supply powering the RPi is probably not good enough to power both.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Is the drive powered by the RPi or an external power supply? If it is powered by the RPi, the power supply powering the RPi is probably not good enough to power both.

It is powered by the Pi. I was wondering if that may be the cause. The light on the drive is on however.

Update: I connected it via a powered USB hub and no change.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The light on the drive is on however.

That doesn't mean it has enough power.

Update: I connected it via a powered USB hub and no change.

Did you reboot? What model of external is it?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

Maybe try a different usb cable? Does it work on another system?

• The drive works on my Win10 tower, as well as the powered usb hub. Interestingly I noticed that the usb devices no longer show up while going through the hub. I see in the syslog that it is recognizing a USB hub during startup but I'm not comfortable interpreting Linux logs. I tried to include the relevant section but had to cut it down to fit into a post.

• 1.The Raspberry Pi 3B needs its own power supply 2 Amper .
    2. The usb hub is perhaps too weak, it should bring with 1 Amper

I checked the PS I was using and it was only .7 amp, when replaced with one that was 2.1 amp I was able to connect the HDD directly to the Pi and see it show up.

Thanks for the help you guys. I really should go through and organize my power cords, most of them are just old phone chargers.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!