vboxdrv.service: control process exited, code=exited status=203

• Hi!

Recently upgraded to "3.0.59 Erasmus", and installed "OMVExtras 3.4.14".

Then went on to uninstall an existing virtual box install that was installed manually before upgrade to Erasmus (was running on Wheezy).

Uninstalled virtualbox using:

Rebooted, and went on to re-installing via OMVExtras using:

Now, when I try to enable the service in the GUI, it throws an error:

Using journalctl, I see the error "Jan 13 15:59:43 x2100 systemd[1]: vboxdrv.service: control process exited, code=exited status=203
    Jan 13 15:59:43 x2100 systemd[1]: Failed to start VirtualBox Linux kernel module.
    -- Subject: Unit vboxdrv.service has failed
    -- Defined-By: systemd"

I have tried cleaning and re-installing several times, but keep ending up with this error, and do not know what to do.

I have also tried combinations of the following commands to no avail:

Any ideas?

Supporting printouts:

• Offizieller Beitrag

Remove everything again and just install virtualbox not the plugin. Lets get that working first.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Ok, looks good so far, next step?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Install the plugin now.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Ok, ran the install command from terminal, looks ok.

Then I go to GUI and go to "Services" > "Virtualbox" > "Settings", under "General settings" I choose an existing directory (/media/a9250666-e9ff-483a-a0a9-be8589bce4cb/data/library/virtualbox), and hit "Enable", and then "Save". It then tells me I need to "Apply" for it to take effect, and when I do, it hits me with "Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; systemctl start virtualbox-web 2>&1' with exit code '1': A dependency job for virtualbox-web.service failed. See 'journalctl -xn' for details." and:

• So I go back to the terminal, and run "journalctl -xn", and try to restart the services, but are still hit with the "status=203" error.

What now, any ideas?

• Finally fixed it after much trial and error!

What i did was:
    # apt-get remove --purge virtualbox openmediavault-virtualbox virtualbox-extpack-installer phpvirtualbox virtualbox-dkms
    # rm -f /etc/default/openmediavault-virtualbox /etc/default/virtualbox
    # userdel vbox

Now I cleaned out all old kernels, and kept the running one only!
    Use terminal and check your current kernel:
    # uname -r
    DO NOT REMOVE THIS KERNEL!

Next, type the command below to view/list all installed kernels on your system.
    # dpkg --list | grep linux-image

Find all the kernels that lower than your current kernel (leaving current kernel). When you know which kernel to remove, continue below to remove it. Run the commands below to remove the kernel you selected.
    # sudo apt-get purge linux-image-x.x.x.x

Finally, run the commands below to update grub2
    # sudo update-grub2

Then:
    # dkms status
    # dkms remove(until status shows nothing, if leftovers not shown with “dkms status”, you can remove manually from /var/lib/dkms/ and /usr/src/<modulename>-<moduleversion>/dkms.conf)

Then:
    # apt-get remove --purge dkms

Then after this I ran:
    # find / -iname "vbox*"

and deleted everything I found. (Yes, risky, I know! But what other options did i have? Re-install would have taken lots longer.)

Rebooted.

Then I re-installed with:
    # apt-get install openmediavault-virtualbox

and defined path in the GUI for vbox and started the service.

Rebooted again just to be sure!

Looks like it worked!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!