Server not visible on local network

• I am running personal backup server on OMV2 for about 3 years without any problems.
    Recently my media sharing server (cheap Zyxel NAS) died, so I decided to build another one on OMV.
    Both servers (the old one and the new build) has almost the same specs: Asrock E350M, 4GB RAM, 2x4TB storage (old server) vs. Asrock C-70, 2GB RAM, 2x500GB storage (the new one).

The only difference is in the OMV version - I decided to try OMV3 on the new server and that was the problem. I was not able to access the server.
    - both servers has assigned static IP on my local network,
    - web GUI was accessible,
    - I was able to ping the server by its IP, but not by its server name. The old server works both with IP and with server name,
    - the server did not show up in Network listing on Windows 7,
    - I've checked everything - firewall on Windows and router side, created shared folders, turned on samba, rebooted computer, rebooted router - nothing works.

So after one day of troubleshooting I decided to "downgrade" OMV3 to OMV2 and... everything works fine out-of-the-box.
    The server is now using the same IP address and name as before with OMV3, but now I can see it in Network listing on Win7 (and on other devices too) and access all shared folders.

I don't know what was the problem, but it looks like a bug in OMV3.

• I know that OMV3 is beta/testing edition.
    But it's hard to test anything when you can't access (and use) server. This type of bugs should not pass the alpha stage.

• Offizieller Beitrag

But it's hard to test anything when you can't access (and use) server. This type of bugs should not pass the alpha stage.

Not seeing the name in Windows Network does not mean you can't access the server. \\ip-address should always work. And this is not a bug. It is a configuration problem typically with the network and/or client config. It is working just fine on the six OMV boxes I maintain. Did you check that everything is enabled in the System -> Network -> Service Discovery tab?

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Not seeing the name in Windows Network does not mean you can't access the server. \\ip-address should always work. And this is not a bug. It is a configuration problem typically with the network and/or client config. It is working just fine on the six OMV boxes I maintain. Did you check that everything is enabled in the System -> Network -> Service Discovery tab?

No, it wasn't accessible either by servername or by IP.
    I was able to ping server by its IP, but couldn't access it by its servername or IP adddress.

Client is ok - I see bunch of other devices in my network).
    Network config is ok - I see old OMV2 server, I see the new OMV2 (formerly OMV3) server.

Installed OMV3 first, made some setup - did not work.
    Installed OMV2 on the same machine, made the same setup - it works.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you can't access by IP then samba isn't running and/or has a major config issue. I have samba running on every OMV box and have never had an issue.

The big difference between OMV 2 and 3 is that OMV 2 uses samba 3 and OMV 3 uses samba 4. This is because OMV 2 is Debian 7 and OMV 3 is Debian 8.

Installing fresh VM from 3.0.58 ISO to test again. Update - Works fine. Left hostname as openmediavault and can see it in network and access via \\openmediavault

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ryecoaaron ()

• If you can't access by IP then samba isn't running and/or has a major config issue. I have samba running on every OMV box and have never had an issue.

The big difference between OMV 2 and 3 is that OMV 2 uses samba 3 and OMV 3 uses samba 4. This is because OMV 2 is Debian 7 and OMV 3 is Debian 8.

Installing fresh VM from 3.0.58 ISO to test again. Update - Works fine. Left hostname as openmediavault and can see it in network and access via \\openmediavault

Like I wrote in my original post - I've checked everything, including samba (through GUI and command line).
    I don't care if the server is accessible via IP or hostname, but in my case any of these didn't work.

• Set all permissions to guest access and try again

Gesendet von meinem OnePlus One

It has nothing to do with access permissions.
    When I reinstalled OMV3 to OMV2, I was able to see the server in network listing without any special setup.
    With the OMV3 on the server, I've tried Samba to turn on and off, restart server, create shares with guest permissions - without success.

• Then do following on the shell:

Bash
    netstat -tulpen | grep smbd
    ps aux | grep smbd

If there is no Process showing up then SystemD is not starting the smbd correctly.

In this case start it manual by typing smbd in the shell and when it runs, than SystemD is misconfigured

• Offizieller Beitrag

It has nothing to do with access permissions.

Yes it does. Samba 4 in OMV 3.x requires that the user has permissions. Why would a user with no permissions need to access samba?

• Hi,

I had the same, but found a workaround...

What I did normally: Install OS, install Updates, install OMV-extras, start to configure => network services (all but ssh and http) are not working

What I did (and got it running): Install OS, configure all services / Shares, update, install OMV-Extras => perfectly running NAS System...

So it seems that some updates prevent us from configuring the NAS :(

Kind Regards

Thomas

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!