Update btrfs-progs to newer version?btrfs errors and ro mount after last apt update

• Hi,

Currently using OMV 3.0.59, it has btrfs-progs 3.17;
    running OMV as KVM vm in Proxmox-VE Virtual Environment 4.4-5/c43015a5;
    The harddrives are passthrough to OMV

The newest btrfs-progs is version 4.9
    if trying to install the new btrfs-progs via apt, it will try to uninstall openmediavault.

Is there a way to have the newest btrfs-progs live with the openmediavault 3 together?
    Why we still have this old version within openmediavault 3?

With the current setup, after the last apt update, I got lots of errors with btrfs and it is forcing my harddrive to mount as ro time to time:

All the harddrive was fine before he last apt update, also the smart information shows ok for them.

• Hi, the output is

uname gives me this

Linux omv3-kvm 4.8.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.8.11-1~bpo8+1 (2016-12-14) x86_64 GNU/Linux

So looks like I'm already using the backports kernel?

• I'm using the 4.7 Backport Kernel with btrfs-progs 4.7.3 (also installed from backport repo) without any issue.
    You should not update the kernel to 4.8 until btrfs-progs 4.8.x is not available in the backport repo.

• I'm using the 4.7 Backport Kernel with btrfs-progs 4.7.3 (also installed from backport repo) without any issue.
    You should not update the kernel to 4.8 until btrfs-progs 4.8.x is not available in the backport repo.

Yep this could be the problem,
    so I should use apt-get -t jessie-backports install btrfs-tools to install the 4.7 version;
    also downgrade back to 4.7 kernel

• So I have 4.7 kernel and btrfs-tools 4.7 now.
    still getting the same errors while doing snapraid sync, having erros on all drivers, just like the ones in op:

• All right, it's not omv/btrfs problem, it's Proxmox-VE 4.4 problem.

Recently updatd from 4.3 to 4.4, and it's having issue with
    virtio_scsi

Btrfs error and critical target errors with KVM disk passthrough

https://forum.rockstor.com/t/b…m-disk-passthrough/2573/4

Proxmox 4.4 virtio_scsi regression

https://forum.proxmox.com/thre…io_scsi-regression.31471/

This reminds me of do not use a virtualized storage if it is going to be a production system.
    Complex system means much more risks.
    Like this problem, it is corrupting my data.

• Offizieller Beitrag

This reminds me of do not use a virtualized storage if it is going to be a production system.
    Complex system means much more risks.
    Like this problem, it is corrupting my data.

This must not be a very common problem since there aren't a ton of people posting about it on proxmox. I use disk passthrough on all of my proxmox boxes and haven't seen an issue. My main server even has one 8TB drive passed through to an OMV 3.x VM and is formatted with btrfs.

It's much better to use an LSI HBA with PCI Passthrough than using disk passthrough...

On ESXi, I would agree with that but I have found just the opposite on Proxmox. And yes, I have two LSI HBAs in my server.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Yep this could be the problem,so I should use apt-get -t jessie-backports install btrfs-tools to install the 4.7 version;
    also downgrade back to 4.7 kernel

I too had installed the 4.8 kernel from Jessie backports and this is how I installed the 4.7 kernel image for anyone else struggling:

Code
    echo 'Acquire::Check-Valid-Until false;' > /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/archive
    echo 'deb http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20161024T110554Z/ jessie-backports main contrib non-free' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian-snapshot.list
    apt-get update 
    apt-get install linux-image-4.7.0-0.bpo.1-amd64

I also had to change the default boot kernel by working out which menuentry I wanted from /boot/ggrub/grub.cfg, editing /etc/default/grub to change the GRUB_DEFAULT menuentry to 2 (in my case) and running update-grub. I know this should be easily done using OMV's GUI and the Kernel tab under OMV-Extras, but the GUI appears to have a bug and my /etc/default/grub file was slowly 'eaten' each time I pressed the 'Set as default boot kernel' button' :!:

Sophie x

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!