dell-optiplex-755

• From the hardware side, it should not be an issue for OMV. I will certainly run without issues for your back up tasks. I ran my server on an Optiplex 960 for a while and it was pretty good. The build quality of the computer is superb and they tend to be really quiet. However, if the server is going to be 24/7 and you are concerned about power consumption, I would look somewhere else (that's why I replaced mine). The CPUs used on that generation are actually really power efficient, but the chipsets used in the motherboards aren't.

Nonetheless, if running costs are not an issue for you, go for it!

Custom mini-ITX build
    Coolcube Mini, Intel Desktop Board DQ77KB, Intel Core i7-3770S, 8 GB DDR3 Ram, 64 GB Trascend mSata SSD (OS), X3 1TB HDD pooled + parity

Dell Optiplex 960 sff (deprecated) - link

Dell Optiplex FX160 (repurposed) - link

"If you can't find it in Google, it simply doesn't exist!" - The Internetz

• I think engmaf want a OMV System without RAID.
    I doesn't meant the unRAID OS for NAS

But are you really want to save your Photos without Redundancy or Backups either ?

yes you are right " without RAID" , thank you for correcting me
    my plan is also to backup everything on the cloud as well (s3 or glacier), I only want the nas server to work as external hard drive without having to using any usb wires

From the hardware side, it should not be an issue for OMV. I will certainly run without issues for your back up tasks. I ran my server on an Optiplex 960 for a while and it was pretty good. The build quality of the computer is superb and they tend to be really quiet. However, if the server is going to be 24/7 and you are concerned about power consumption, I would look somewhere else (that's why I replaced mine). The CPUs used on that generation are actually really power efficient, but the chipsets used in the motherboards aren't.

Nonetheless, if running costs are not an issue for you, go for it!

it won't be working 24/7, not really in need for that

• yes you are right " without RAID" , thank you for correcting me
    my plan is also to backup everything on the cloud as well (s3 or glacier), I only want the nas server to work as external hard drive without having to using any usb wires

In that case it will work. OMV even runs on the Raspberry Pi, I tried it out on my Pi 2 initially and then went with a 64-bit dual core CPU.

FWIW, it ran perfect on the Pi, the only thing missing was gigabit connectivity and the only reason I switched to a 64-bit CPU and mobo.

If its only going to be limited streaming like to a single device or smartphones and tablets then you can consider the Raspberry Pi or a similar SBC/SOC, much cheaper at $35 to $50 for the entire lot (except HDD) and of course you will be limited to fast ethernet (100 Mbps) speeds.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!