best approach: caldav, carddav and bookmark-sync on OMV

• Hi folks,

new year, new installation (after system-disc-crash)... I'm a bit undecided on how to set my system up (still planing)

I was using Baikal-Server via nginx-plugin on OMV2 for contacts and calender to synchronize 'em on smartfone, tablet, and PC (multiboot) - worked, but I want one more thing: bookmarks. There is a plugin for owncloud, but I will be the only user, so i guess own/nextcloud would be "overdone", especially within a docker-container...

I do like to have my data on my servers (so I don't want to use the mozilla-cloud for bookmarks or another one for calendar/contacts)...

Does anybody have an idea if there's a solution for my scenario?
    If it boils down to own/nextcloud - what would be the most "powersaving"-approach? nginx or docker?

Thanks for your help...

sehnix

System:
    HP N54l - 4GB RAM - 64GB-SSD OMV, 2 x 1TB Seagate, 1 x 4TB WD Blue
    OMV 3.0.58 OMV-Extras 3

• Offizieller Beitrag

If it boils down to own/nextcloud - what would be the most "powersaving"-approach? nginx or docker?

I would guess they would be the same since they are doing the same work and docker has almost no overhead.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• so that might be the "only" solution?
    to get docker installed, and a container including one of the "clouds"?

System:
    OMV 3.0.58 OMV-Extras 3

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't know if it is the only solution but installing the docker plugin and then a "cloud" docker seems pretty easy.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I tested a little bit, and i just don't get comfy with docker...

So it boils down to an nginx-solution; but trying out nextcloud - has the plugin to sync firefox-bookmarks been discontinued? (didn't find it anymore)

If yes - is there an alternative? (without using the mozilla-cloud?)

(otherwhise i can take baikal again, owncloud/nextcloud would have been nice due to the ff-sync-plugin)

System:
    OMV 3.0.58 OMV-Extras 3

• Ok, found my answer: no firefox-sync anymore.... :-/

Think I'll go with the nginx/nextcloud-variant then, eventough it wasn't an easy job getting NC11 running with the nginx-plugin in the VM (all the redirects between the tutorials and additional infos next 20 pages in them)...

But I'm still open to suggestions for my scenario:

Single (maybe once 2 or 3, not more than 10) User
    Need caldav, carddav (webGUI nice to have, no must)
    Bookmark-Sync
    (sync on OSX, Linux and Windows (FF/Thunderbird/...), Android (dav))

System:
    OMV 3.0.58 OMV-Extras 3

• known fact - sry, didn't express myself too good:
    was trying it out IN a VM

(as test-setup, so i don't have to mess with the productive-system, even that's pretty much down at the moment)

System:
    OMV 3.0.58 OMV-Extras 3

• hey @sehnix

i just found this thread while searching for a solution for myself..
    I absolutly do like your philosophy ("like to have my data on my servers ") and want to achieve the same. Or at least i want to try it to see if i am pleased enough to cut off my cloud-connection for sync contacts and calendar (and if possible bookmarks likewise).
    So i would like to hear how satisfied you are with your test environment? Was it good enough for your needs and are you using it in your prod-system (or planning to do so)?

• Hi madoasp

I got nextcloud running, after a short intermezzo with my selfsigne ssl-certificate, quiet well actually...
    Calendar, Contacts, Notes (and some Bookmarks via plugin) are running fine - although I scared myself for a second when updating NC (had to reactivate the plugins, but all data still where it belongs)...

Got it running using
    Win/Thunderbird (using SoGo-Connector)
    OSX/Thunderbird (Contacts), OSX-calendar
    LineageOS14.1 w. DAVdroid (bought version as NC had problems with the f-droid-version)
    (used on an old galaxy tab, and my trusty xperia T)
    ---
    Edit 2:
    off course, webfrontend works fine, too ;)
    ---

Downpart:
    no bookmark-sync with Firefox.
    The Bookmark-Plugin delivered with NC is somewhat slow; it delivers a "add bookmark to NC"-Link, but it only works when especially logged in; and then, it only creates a link inside the Plugin == not available in Firefox...

All in all, I'm very satisfied with NC.

Next steps planned:
    a) ...a solution for Firefox-Bookmarks...
    b) reachable from the outside using a dynDNS-Service (including getting an SSL-Certificate NOT selfsigned)

Edit:
    forgot - i got the E-Mail-Plugin running, too...

System:
    OMV 3.0.58 OMV-Extras 3

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!