Can I Move Plex Media Server "Database Volume" to Mirrored SSD

• I was searching for the forum to find out what OMV user's experiences were like with the Plex Media Server (PMS) plugin and came across:

Is it possible to partition out a system disk on an SSD as demonstrated on either one of these posts:

And then point the Plex Media Server to the newly created partition as the new "Database Volume"? Won't mirroring the partitioned out SSD in a RAID 1 scenario provide a redundancy option to protect against data loss?

Many thanks in advance! @tekkb Would love to know your thoughts on this.

3.0.56 (Erasmus) - OMV Extras 3 (Stable)
    AsRock Rack C72504DI
    64GB Crucial ECC Ram
    8x4TB WD40EFRX
    4X4TB HMS5C4040x
    Crucial 525GB SSD

• I'm not sure what you're asking. Is your system on two SSDs set up as RAID1 ?

RAID doesn't protect against data loss. It protects against hardware failure. It's pretty useless for the system drive, because the
    system isn't valuable, your data is. You can reinstall the system as much as you want.

However, a RAID1 array is functionally the same as a drive. You can repartition it if you want. Plex won't care.

• I agree with Nibb31's remarks, and like to cleary that you can use one disk for both the OMV operating system, plex and your data. Thats what i'm doing currently.

Could you clearify why you want redundancy and don\t mention anything backups?

• @Nibb31 @GreenBean thank you for your responses and my apologies for the ambiguity in my original post. When I setup Plex Media Server, it asks me to specify a "Database Volume" (Please see highlghted area in attached screenshot). Is it wrong to assume that the Plex Media Server wants me to specify a "Database Volume" that is not my SSD and wants me to specify some data pool? If so, how can I set the "Database Volume" to my SSD?

Many thanks in advance!

PS - I am setup my system disk w 2 SSDs in RAID 1 for redundancy and not to protect data loss. For that I will have a cron/scheduled task backing up the system disk often.

• The OMV standard install and Plex Media Server Plugin will not offer to use the system drive for this purpose. You would have to install and configure Plex by hand and the plugin would serve no real purpose.

But before trying this you should be aware that the size of the Plex database can grow over time to become quite large.

My OMV system drive is a 16GB SSD, of which less than 7GB have been used. The volume of media that Plex handles for me is currently 8TB.

The Plex Database directory was over 200GB the last time I checked, and continues to grow.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• @gderf Thank you very much for your response. Can you please tell me if "The Plex Database directory" stored in the path specified in the "Database Volume" or "Database Folder" on the Plex Media Server setup screen?

3.0.56 (Erasmus) - OMV Extras 3 (Stable)
    AsRock Rack C72504DI
    64GB Crucial ECC Ram
    8x4TB WD40EFRX
    4X4TB HMS5C4040x
    Crucial 525GB SSD

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!