Raspberry pi, 3.5" hard drives

• Hi all,

I recently put together a NAS based on a Raspberry pi (model 2B) with 2 hard drives. It currently lives in a shoebox and works pretty well.
    For those interested here is some rough schematics of the setup. The data connection is done by some USB to SATA adapters (ebay link).

There are still some some issues with power management. Hard disks keep spinning when the raspberry pi is shut down.
    I am considering cutting the HDD 12V via a relay activated by a GPIO pin.

Do you have a similar setup and success with 3.5 HDD?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why not leave the RPi running so the drives stay spun down? The RPi use less than 2 watts.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi ryecoaaron this is not quite right there are 10Watt,
    P = U x I | 5V x 2A = 10Watt

Um, I have 7 RPis. I have a Kill-a-watt that shows actual power consumption. They use between 1.5 and 2.2 watts. An RPi is no different from a computer. You might have a 400 watt power supply in a computer but that doesn't mean it will draw 400 watts. I have never seen my RPi3 use more than 4 watts. It has a 10 watt power supply so that it can power devices plugged into the usb ports. If they have an external power supply, they won't add to the total.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thank you both for your replies.
    Like you said, power consumption is hardly significant and is not really a concern.

Even spun down, the hard drives still make a hum, particularly noticeable at night.
    Edit: unmounting and then remounting harddrives solved the problem. 100% silent now :) .

This will be used for backups on weekly basis, I feel it would be safer to have it disconnected from the mains when not in use. Doing that cuts the power to the disk when they are spinning full speed (raspberry pi turned off). I can also hear the heads parking in a not-so-reassuring noise...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!