Getting 'Panic or segfault in Samba' error

• Hi,

I get lots of this error been reported,

The Samba 'panic action' script, /usr/share/samba/panic-action,
    was called for PID 4343 (/usr/sbin/smbd).

Where should I look to check if anything is wrong or causing this issue?
    I'm using omv 3.0.59

Cheers,

• Offizieller Beitrag

What kind of system?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi @ryecoaaron

I also get this error warning

Code
    The Samba 'panic action' script, /usr/share/samba/panic-action,
    was called for PID 2677 (/usr/sbin/smbd).

This means there was a problem with the program, such as a segfault.
    However, gdb was not found on your system, so the error could not be
    debugged. Please install the gdb package so that debugging information
    is available the next time such a problem occurs.

I found out in the meantime that such an error occurs when my iMac or MacBookAir (both with OS X El Capitan) are connected to a shared folder via smb and while connected I reboot the server. The reason why I reboot the server is that I made some updates and want to be sure everything is working (e.g. emby server update).
    This issue I found out just with OMV3 because with OMV2 I had afp-shares for my OS X-systems and, as you can see, the error comes up only when samba is affected. With OMV3 I switched from afp to smb.
    After reboot of the server I can connect again to the shares and everything works like it should. So I think that this error has just a cosmetic matter. At least I think so....

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not sure what is causing it. Maybe a bad setting in your samba config? segfaults are never good though.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I use the standard samba settings. So I didn't change anything. I get this error on both of my machines (see sig.). Now I know how to handle this message. Before I reboot the server I unmount all connected shares and than I restart the server. For me it's not a problem anymore but if someone is using an OMV-server with many Mac clients he/she could be very upset with this message.

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

• Offizieller Beitrag

Now I know how to handle this message. Before I reboot the server I unmount all connected shares and than I restart the server.

strange. I've never had to do this. Did you try restarting samba instead of the whole server?

systemctl restart smbd.service
    systemctl restart nmbd.service

but if someone is using an OMV-server with many Mac clients he/she could be very upset with this message.

I don't use my mac very often but I didn't have this problem. I also would have thought @subzero79 would've run into this issue??

• So, after some tests it's really interesting, that it looks that this error message is gone. Yesterday I restarted my OMV several time, while connected either my MacbookAir or my iMac via smb to the shares and didn't get any errors.
    I just wrote a long posting but before posting it here I decided to do just on test and voila... so I made some more and no error message. It looks that with one of the latest debian updates this error is gone.
    My suspicion is that the error came from the smb-shares on my "snapraid+mergerfs" because I couldn't find any error messages in my mail account from the test-server (there's just one single drive inside).
    But at the moment everything looks great.

• While testing the UPS I get the same email message when the NAS powers down after disconnecting the UPS from the mains and switches to battery power.

It seems to do no harm, because after booting the NAS again Samba is up and running and shares are available.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!