SMART Error on SSD system drive

• I got an email this morning that its time to replace my SSD. Its only 2 years old and is the system drive for OMV and is partitioned so its also the database drive for plex. Is there something I'm doing wrong that made it fail in only 2 years? I'm also confused because it has 0 bad blocks according to SMART.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What kind of SSD? Do you have the flash memory plugin installed? Parameter 231 tells me it out of life - no more empty sectors to perform wear leveling.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• What kind of SSD? Do you have the flash memory plugin installed? Parameter 231 tells me it out of life - no more empty sectors to perform wear leveling.

128gb kingston. I thought the flash memory plugin was for thumb drives. I guess thats my problem. Whoops. How long do you think I have?

• Offizieller Beitrag

flashmemory helps any device that has limited writes. 2 years is a lot of writes even for an SSD.

Not sure how long you have. I would back it up now though.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Clonezilla the preferred way?

yep

• Offizieller Beitrag

would I get more life out of a 240gb drive if I'm only using less than half of it?

Yes. That is a lot more sectors it reallocate. From my tests, the flashmemory cuts writes by about 90% though.

• Is there a way to verify that I set up fstab correctly and that the flash memory plugin is working?

Can I grow my data partition from the file systems tab or do I need to use gparted or something of the sort?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there a way to verify that I set up fstab correctly and that the flash memory plugin is working?

Your fstab is fine. Those are just suggestions listed in the plugin. You don't have to have them.

Can I grow my data partition from the file systems tab or do I need to use gparted or something of the sort?

gparted

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!