SMART Causes Reboot Issue on Fresh OMV 3 Installation

• In order to take advantage of Gigabit speeds, I have decided to replace my RPi-based OMV server with an actual computer. I installed the 64 bit version of OMV 3.0.58 which I then upgraded to 3.0.59 via the "Update Management" tab. Everything is working except for "SMART." Whenever I try to load the "Devices" list, I get a "Communication failure" error. When I log out of the web UI and back in, the drive appears. For whatever reason though, whenever I try to shut down or restart the server after doing this, the machine hangs and I have to crash and start it up.

What is the matter? Does anyone have any advice on what to do?

• I am having a similar issue mine seems related to a drive I have connected via usb3 if I connect it via a USB 2 port or disconnect it then it seems ok, after I have this issue sometime in the future my OMV install stops responding , fans go on full and only way to recover is a full reboot

Sent from my UMI_SUPER using Tapatalk

• i have also found that after this happens i have lost a weeks worth of stats so im now not sure if it is a problem with the drive or with teh folder2ram plugin so i'll also post this issue in the forum and see..

• Offizieller Beitrag

i have also found that after this happens i have lost a weeks worth of stats so im now not sure if it is a problem with the drive or with teh folder2ram plugin so i'll also post this issue in the forum and see..

Any time you don't shut down properly, folder2ram can't sync the files in ram back to the drive. So, yes you would lose that data. If you know you are going to have to reboot or reset, you can always try folder2ram -syncall before doing that.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Any time you don't shut down properly, folder2ram can't sync the files in ram back to the drive. So, yes you would lose that data. If you know you are going to have to reboot or reset, you can always try folder2ram -syncall before doing that.

I am no longer running on an RPi nor am I hosting the server on an SSD so I no longer use the folder2ram plugin. Do you have any idea what the problem is? Or is it just a bug in the latest OMV release that will be fixed in a future update?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you have any idea what the problem is? Or is it just a bug in the latest OMV release that will be fixed in a future update?

It is probably either a hardware instability and/or incompatibility. You didn't post what your hardware is.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Looks like that system is 2+ years old. Might also have heat issues from being in such a slim case (heat saving features might only work under Windows). It might also have htpc features that have Windows only features. I would run memtest on it. If it has a bios upgrade, I would upgrade that too. I would also disable any unused feature in the bios that you can.

• Looks like that system is 2+ years old. Might also have heat issues from being in such a slim case (heat saving features might only work under Windows). It might also have htpc features that have Windows only features. I would run memtest on it. If it has a bios upgrade, I would upgrade that too. I would also disable any unused feature in the bios that you can.

I do not see any BIOS upgrades listed on the Lenovo website. I can run memtest, but I am not sure what it would do or how it would solve my problem. I went through the BIOS prior to setting the system up and disabled everything that was not essential, so that is done.

As for the temperature issue, I am using the OMV sensors plugin to monitor that. Here are several graphs from the server's first 24 hours in service. I wanted to use the CPU fan speed and system fan speed graphs as well, but for whatever reason, they are not working. All I get when I activate them is the "sad bar graph" icon.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I can run memtest, but I am not sure what it would do or how it would solve my problem.

If you have bad memory, it could definitely be causing your problem. memtest would tell you if you have bad memory.

for whatever reason, they are not working

Not every sensor has a driver in Linux.

• I notice the external usb3 drive part, I am getting errors in the logs when I connect mine and smart Tab stops responding, plugging in to a usb2 port info not get the same errors

• Offizieller Beitrag

I notice the external usb3 drive part, I am getting errors in the logs when I connect mine and smart Tab stops responding

On my QNAP box running OMV 3.x, if I plug in my 8TB usb3 drive, I get lots of segfaults in dmesg and the drive is never recognized. It doesn't have a USB2 port to try. I think there are quite a few USB3-to-sata chipsets that have bad drives in Linux and maybe even some usb3 controller chipsets.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So how do I run it?

You can't run it on a live system. You need to boot a bootable ISO like systemrescuecd (in dos tools menu).

• All my troubles seem to be down to that ext usb3 drive without it plugged in there are no errors and all the tabs work as expected showing me smart info and drive details as soon as I plug it in I get errors all over the place and some tabs stop working, have you got an internal drive you can try and / or usb2 port to see if the machine works correctly without usb3

• Yes, I do have a USB 2 port that I can try. As soon as I get the opportunity, I will do so. Prior to setting this machine up as an OMV server, I used it as my Linux machine, but I no longer need to do so because I now have a computer that can run a faster Linux VM than that machine could run Linux when installed on its hard drive.

I do not know if it was clear in my first post, but the hanging on shutdown and reboot only happens once I open the SMART tab that is supposed to list all of the disks. If I do not touch it, I do not run into any problems.

It is also worth noting that some of my system logs are not working. For instance, when I try to open the "SMB/CIFS - Audit" log, I get an error message.

Code
    Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; export SYSTEMD_COLORS=0; journalctl --quiet --no-pager --priority='notice' SYSLOG_FACILITY=23 SYSLOG_IDENTIFIER='smbd_audit' --output=short 1>/tmp/logfileuSkrb7 2>&1' with exit code '1':

Here is the stack trace that I see when I click "Show details":

Code
    Error #0:
    exception 'OMV\ExecException' with message 'Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; export SYSTEMD_COLORS=0; journalctl --quiet --no-pager --priority='notice' SYSLOG_FACILITY=23 SYSLOG_IDENTIFIER='smbd_audit' --output=short 1>/tmp/logfileuSkrb7 2>&1' with exit code '1': ' in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/process.inc:175
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/logfile.inc(73): OMV\System\Process->execute()
    #1 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceLogFile->getList(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(124): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(84): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('getList', Array, Array)
    #4 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(516): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('LogFile', 'getList', Array, Array, 1)
    #5 {main}

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!