Create /home partition on boot drive

• I'm running OMV off of a 32 GB flash drive that gets mounted as /dev/sdg. I used Gparted to shrink sdg1 to 6GB and created sdg3 with 21.4GB of space and the label home. I want to mount sdg3 as /home and use that to store the home folder for my user and I am running into a few issues.

If I modify my fstab to mount sdg3 as /home, OMV won't boot all the way if Gparted made it ext4. It seems to get through fsck, and then fails. Something about metadata_csum and needing a newer version of e2fsck. I got around this by switching to ext3.

The next issue I run into is that when I go to make a shared folder, it doesn't see sdg3 or home as a volume. I can't go into the File Systems tab and delete it either. It won't do anything when I hit delete and then confirm yes twice. I was hoping to use the File System's tab to turn ext3 to ext4.

What do I need to do?

Version 2.2.13 (Stone burner)
    Kernal - Linux 3.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64

• Offizieller Beitrag

A recommendation, remove that entry from fstab (the home), let omv format that partition and mount it in the webUI. Create a shared folder (let's name it home) for home using that sdg3 volume you just mounted. Got to access right management -> users -> settings select that new shared folder as home.

now home will be at

/media/long_uuid_number/home

So all new users home folder will be at

/media/long_uuid_number/home
    |---> user1
    |---> user2

• I removed the entry completely from fstab just in case commenting it out was causing the issue and OMV still won't let me modify sdg3 from the filesystem tab.

I'll click on sdg3 after it is unmounted and when I click delete, it gives me the two pop up confirmations but it won't actually delete the file system.

• So unmount sdg3, erase that partition using terminal, use OMV to format sdg3 with the label home, add a shared folder called home, and then set that folder as home?

What's the best way to erase the partition from terminal?

• Offizieller Beitrag

You don't need to erase or wipe the partition. Just mount it with the webui and go there if you have contents there you want to erase. The mounted drive should be located at

/media/uuid/

The uuid number can be found in the fs section clicking on column and toggle show "indentify as"

You can format the partition unmounted with

mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdg3

• I'm clicked on FIle Systems under the Storage section and all I see is "Device, Label, File System, Total, Available, Used, Mounted, Referenced, and Status." I don't see a 'Identify As' option.

But other than that, everything else seems to work. I used mkfs.ext4 -L home /dev/sdg3 so that the label would be home. Created a shared folder called home on it and set the home directory to be "home [on home, home/]" under User Settings.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!