Virtualbox 5.1.8 and kernel 4.9 error

• Hello,

There is a probleme with VirtualBox < 5.1.12 and the last kernel in backport (4.9), the DKMS modul can't be build.

So we have to block the 4.9 kernel install, until the VirtualBox package be upgrade.

Thanks

NSA325v2 on Debian Wheezy + Openmediavault 1.16, 1.6Ghz, 512MB, 1TB + 500GB.
    D2-Network on Debian Wheezy + Openmediavault 1.16, 1.2Ghz, 256MB, 500GB.
    And a custom made NAS/Server on Debian Wheezy + Openmediavault 1.16, Core2Duo 2.4Ghz, 4GB, 4*2TB Raid5 + 4*3TB Raid5.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So we have to block the 4.9 kernel install, until the VirtualBox package be upgrade.

I disagree. A lot of OMV users don't use virtualbox. Virtualbox users should just not install the 4.9 update or install it and boot to the 4.8 kernel.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Can we block the >4.9 kernel from the openmediavault-virtualbox ?

I have allready go back to 4.8 kernel.

And a custom made NAS/Server on Debian Wheezy + Openmediavault 1.16, Core2Duo 2.4Ghz, 4GB, 4*2TB Raid5 + 4*3TB Raid5.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can we block the >4.9 kernel from the openmediavault-virtualbox ?

Uninstall the 4.9 kernel and then don't install it from the updates tab or use apt-mark hold.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

How can I boot to the 4.8 kernel?

Either select it from the grub menu when booting or change the boot kernel in the omv-extras kernel tab.

And when would be expected an update to VirtualBox plug-in to solve the problem?

The plugin can't fix this. The virtualbox package in the Debian repos needs to be updated to 5.1.12 or newer.

• Uninstall the 4.9 kernel and then don't install it from the updates tab or use apt-mark hold.

To disable 4.9 kernel are the following commands correct in order to remove it from the updates tab?

Code
    apt-mark hold linux-image-4.9.0-0.bpo.1-amd64
    apt-mark hold linux-image-amd64
    apt-mark hold linux-compiler-gcc-4.9-x86

(The third command is not necessarily required, but I think it is related to kernel 4.9)

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Either select it from the grub menu when booting or change the boot kernel in the omv-extras kernel tab.

The plugin can't fix this. The virtualbox package in the Debian repos needs to be updated to 5.1.12 or newer.

If I follow the following instruction found on VirtualBox site, I should get always the latest version, correct?

Adding the following line to /etc/apt/sources.list:

Code
    deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian jessie contrib
    • Offizieller Beitrag

If I follow the following instruction found on VirtualBox site, I should get always the latest version, correct?

Nope. Don't add the virtualbox repos unless you want to use virtualbox without the plugin. The 3.x plugin only works with the Debian package (yes, they are very different).

• Can we use the virtualbox 5.1.14 version from debian 9 ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can we use the virtualbox 5.1.14 version from debian 9 ?

Nope. Already tried. Dependencies prevent it from installing.

• Ahahahaha,

Dependecy for openmediavault-virtualbox is linux-header-amd64, and this is a metapacket for header 4.9. So we can't remove it !

• Hi all,

Does anybody can build a backported package for virtualbox and virtualbox-dkms from debian sid version 5.1.14 ?
    I tried with this guide (https://wiki.debian.org/SimpleBackportCreation), but it failed for me.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just uploaded virtualbox 5.1.14 packages (amd64 only) built on jessie. The kernel module compiles on the 4.9 kernel. Packages installed fine but I didn't do anymore testing though. Use at your own risk.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ryecoaaron ()

• Thanks, it's seem to work, no bug for the moment.

• I just uploaded virtualbox 5.1.14 packages (amd64 only) built on jessie. The kernel module compiles on the 4.9 kernel. Packages installed fine but I didn't do anymore testing though. Use at your own risk.

hello.. I got the same problem, already upgraded to 4.9 - want to keep it like that.

I downloaded the packages from the link above.

and i installed them:
    dpkg -i *
    apt-get install -f
    dpkg -i *
    service virtualbox-web start

great work!

HP Z800 Workstation running OMV.

also running Nextcloud for home home use, Motioneye for CCTV, Ampache for listening my music around the world

Dual CPU Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5620 @ 2.40GHz

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von speeskeek ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't remember which ones but I think you would need virtualbox, virtualbox-dkms, and maybe virtualbox-source. It will tell you when you try to install.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would try to install these packages only when I precisely know which to download and to install.

You didn't read my warning, did you? Packages installed fine but I didn't do anymore testing though. Use at your own risk. If you are that worried about doing something wrong, you shouldn't be using these packages...

I don't know why I am posting these instructions because it always comes back to bite me in the ass when I make things easy...
    wget http://omv-extras.org/testing/virtualbox-dkms_5.1.14-dfsg-1_all.deb
    wget http://omv-extras.org/testing/virtualbox_5.1.14-dfsg-1_amd64.deb
    dpkg -i virtualbox_5.1.14-dfsg-1_amd64.deb virtualbox-dkms_5.1.14-dfsg-1_all.deb
    apt-get -f install

***EDIT*** - these packages are in the omv-extras repo now. No need to manually install them.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von ryecoaaron ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!