HP Proliant microserv Gen8 1610t + HP Smart Array P410 w/512Mb cache

    • OMV 2.x

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • HP Proliant microserv Gen8 1610t + HP Smart Array P410 w/512Mb cache

      Hi,

      I use for a few weeks, a new HP Proliant microserv Gen8 1610t with 8 GB ECC Unbuffered DDR3 RAM (adding 4 GB), 4 4TB HDDs on embedded sata ports and a SSD 128GB for the OS + OMV 2.0

      OMV 2.2.13 is installed since the beginning with 4x2TB and i had to migrate the 4x2TB Raid 5 array to 4X4TB raid 5 array, with help of this forum to run the right command.

      My volume is about 50% of Maximum Capacity.

      Now, i have a new project. Last week, i bought a HP Smart Array P410 card with 512Mb cache, it has 2 SAS ports, and with 2 cables "mini SAS to 4 Sata Ports", i can get 2x4 sata ports.
      It supports Hotplug and is a good solution as i read.




      I am going to use 1 port SAS and then with these cables, i want to bring a new array RAID 5.


      :?: this is my question :?:

      Before using this card, i 'm wondering, if i could keep all my datas on my 4 HDDS, on the previous volume, managed by OMV 2,

      or if i need to "backup , then delete array, then unplug the HDDs, then put the new card, then connect the 4 HDDs" , and create a new Raid 5 Array ?


      As it was previously a Software Raid, and in a few days, it will be a HW Raid, is it possible or not possible to do what i want ?

      Or, is it more careful and safe to begin a new system after all datas backuped ?

      new question: do i need to migrate OMV 2.2.13 to OMV 3.0 before ?


      Thanks for you answer. :)
    • Genna wrote:

      As it was previously a Software Raid, and in a few days, it will be a HW Raid, is it possible or not possible to do what i want ?
      Not possible unless you save your data in other location, and copy when your hardware RAID is working.


      PD: In general Hardawre RAID is not recomended because you need same RAID card in case of fail/migration, this is not the case of software RAID, eg: you add a new piece of hardware ( new controller) and still you can access your data disk.

      Genna wrote:

      new question: do i need to migrate OMV 2.2.13 to OMV 3.0 before ?
      Is recommende because is stable, but is not mandatory.

      Genna wrote:

      Before using this card, i 'm wondering, if i could keep all my datas on my 4 HDDS, on the previous volume, managed by OMV 2,

      or if i need to "backup , then delete array, then unplug the HDDs, then put the new card, then connect the 4 HDDs" , and create a new Raid 5 Array ?
      Your data are safe and can be accesible because you use software RAID
      OMV 3.0.88 x64 on a HP T510, 8GB CF as Boot Disk & 32GB SSD 2,5" disk for Data, 4 GB RAM, CPU VIA EDEN X2 U4200 is x64 at 1GHz

      Post: HPT510 SlimNAS ; HOWTO Install Pi-Hole ; HOWTO install MLDonkey ; HOHTO Install ZFS-Plugin ; OMV_OldGUI ; ShellinaBOX ;
    • raulfg3 wrote:

      In general Hardawre RAID is not recomended because you need same RAID card in case of fail/migration
      I disagree with recommending against using a hardware raid controller as long as you use a common card (a P410 is). Hardware raid is more reliable than software raid from my experience on this forum. I have also seen very few hardware raid cards fail. I do disagree with using the fake hardware raid that is on a lot of desktop motherboards.
      omv 4.0.14 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.13 backports kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.1
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers

      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • Thanks for your 2 answers.

      I have the HP Smart Array Card P410, so i would like to use it, and i am pretty sure that i will use it in a close future.

      So i learn OMV 2.2.13 with success, it is amazing, i like every part of web interface, very smart. I learned a lot thanks to you.

      i am going to backup my datas to some big HDDs (again and this, in opposite direction :( )

      Therefore, @ryecoaaron, do you agree with me regarding the use of this card ?

      the process to use it would be :

      • backup my data
      • delete previous software raid array/volume.
      • shutdown
      • plug card
      • connecting hdds to mini-sas->sata ports
      • power on
      • create Hw raid 5 or ++ array with P410 middleware on boot
      • go to omv 2.2.13 (or 3.0 if i have already migrate).
      • create new volume
      • copying data.
      ?

      is it ok ? do i forget something ?

      or should i migrate to 3.x when no data is already present ?

      thanks guys for your help and advise. i appreciate.

      :)
    • Genna wrote:

      do you agree with me regarding the use of this card ?
      Yes. Your process looks correct. I would definitely use OMV 3.x.
      omv 4.0.14 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.13 backports kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.1
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers

      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • i was looking for a guide on the forum, how to migrate OMV 2.0 OMV 3.x and i find out some users topics where users asked questions.
      maybe my english is not enough good to understand...
      could you please give me the link for the How-To migrate to OMV 3.0 ?

      OMV 3.x yes, i would like to install it.
    • Genna wrote:

      could you please give me the link for the How-To migrate to OMV 3.0 ?
      Make sure your plugins are available on OMV 3.x then omv-release-upgrade
      omv 4.0.14 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.13 backports kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.1
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers

      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • ok. what is/are the relevant plugin(s) i need ?

      for sure i have some troubles to find some guides, because there a a lot of informations and i ve just started to use the forum. So the history has made its job... but for a newbie like me, so many informations kill me :)

      edit: in Plugin section on webgui, after check, i can't see OMV 3.0 upgrade or equal... only usbbackup, iscitarget, forkeddaapd, ldap, netatalk and clamav

      in your signature, i can see an interesting link, and following it i find a let'encryt plugin, nice. i will install it for sure.

      edit 2: i am connected with SSh, i ran "omv-release-upgrade" and it 's in progress.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Genna ().

    • OMV 3.0.59 (Erasmus) has been just installed.
      I look the new webgui screens. Migration is ok.

      my comments on OMV3.0 if you accept:
      1. email generating doesn't work because "using TLS/SSL" was not selected after migration.
      2. "Update managment" is not translated in french (small stuff)
      3. Columns displayed with no adaptation to text width, by default on Logs system menu
      4. Download and delete buttons are put to the very right of logs scroll-list
      5. Scroll list displays by default 14 rows but with the scroll bar for the last one, why ? should display the full list in one time if there is place, and there is a lot of space ^^
      Access to data is working as usual, that is the most important :)

      maybe i have to write this in correct section, if interested.

      thanks ;)
    • hi guys,
      i received yesterday from China, the mini-SAS to Sata cables (~3 weeks).
      During this period, i backup all my datas of my OMV 3.0
      Now, i 'm going to delete file system, raid array, and shut down the Microserv gen8.
      plug my new card, its mini-sas/sata cables and connect HDDs.
      Then, create with HP Smart array P410 card bios, the Raid 5 array (hardware).
      Power on
      see in OMV 3.0 what will happen.
      It is late, i will do this tomorrow.
      If you have advises/ideas to do this in the right way, i will appreciate.
      Thanks
    • Hi,

      One week ago, i installed my mew HP Smart Array P410 (512Mb) on HP Microserv Gen8 - 8GB Ram, and connected all 4 HDDs with Mini SAS-to-Sata cable (in fact, internal cable and connector were already mini Sata Port and cables, so i didn't need to buy these cables).

      I built a new filesystem, with logical volume created by/with P410 firmware.

      File Transfert Performances are great, about 113/114MB/s.

      so, very nice power.

      but, i receive since that day, a lot of email notifications like "Resource limit matched Service xxxxxx " and "Description: loadavg(1min) of 4.7 matches resource limit [loadavg(1min)>4.0]"

      i desactivate Audit SMB, and in Notifications menu, 'cpu usage, Load Average, Memory usage, Process monitoring,..." int that way, i did not monitor, so i had not notification.

      i had not theses notifications when i used Softaware RAID 5. And i thought with HW raid card, i would not have these messages.

      From my PC with SMB or by FTP, LoadAvg in Dashboard is variable between 50 ~100% , so notification is sent.

      but why ?

      thanks.