HP Proliant microserv Gen8 1610t + HP Smart Array P410 w/512Mb cache

• Hi,

I use for a few weeks, a new HP Proliant microserv Gen8 1610t with 8 GB ECC Unbuffered DDR3 RAM (adding 4 GB), 4 4TB HDDs on embedded sata ports and a SSD 128GB for the OS + OMV 2.0

OMV 2.2.13 is installed since the beginning with 4x2TB and i had to migrate the 4x2TB Raid 5 array to 4X4TB raid 5 array, with help of this forum to run the right command.

My volume is about 50% of Maximum Capacity.

Now, i have a new project. Last week, i bought a HP Smart Array P410 card with 512Mb cache, it has 2 SAS ports, and with 2 cables "mini SAS to 4 Sata Ports", i can get 2x4 sata ports.
    It supports Hotplug and is a good solution as i read.

I am going to use 1 port SAS and then with these cables, i want to bring a new array RAID 5.

:?: this is my question :?:

Before using this card, i 'm wondering, if i could keep all my datas on my 4 HDDS, on the previous volume, managed by OMV 2,

or if i need to "backup , then delete array, then unplug the HDDs, then put the new card, then connect the 4 HDDs" , and create a new Raid 5 Array ?

As it was previously a Software Raid, and in a few days, it will be a HW Raid, is it possible or not possible to do what i want ?

Or, is it more careful and safe to begin a new system after all datas backuped ?

new question: do i need to migrate OMV 2.2.13 to OMV 3.0 before ?

Thanks for you answer. :)

• As it was previously a Software Raid, and in a few days, it will be a HW Raid, is it possible or not possible to do what i want ?

Not possible unless you save your data in other location, and copy when your hardware RAID is working.

PD: In general Hardawre RAID is not recomended because you need same RAID card in case of fail/migration, this is not the case of software RAID, eg: you add a new piece of hardware ( new controller) and still you can access your data disk.

new question: do i need to migrate OMV 2.2.13 to OMV 3.0 before ?

Is recommende because is stable, but is not mandatory.

Before using this card, i 'm wondering, if i could keep all my datas on my 4 HDDS, on the previous volume, managed by OMV 2,

or if i need to "backup , then delete array, then unplug the HDDs, then put the new card, then connect the 4 HDDs" , and create a new Raid 5 Array ?

Your data are safe and can be accesible because you use software RAID

• Offizieller Beitrag

In general Hardawre RAID is not recomended because you need same RAID card in case of fail/migration

I disagree with recommending against using a hardware raid controller as long as you use a common card (a P410 is). Hardware raid is more reliable than software raid from my experience on this forum. I have also seen very few hardware raid cards fail. I do disagree with using the fake hardware raid that is on a lot of desktop motherboards.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for your 2 answers.

I have the HP Smart Array Card P410, so i would like to use it, and i am pretty sure that i will use it in a close future.

So i learn OMV 2.2.13 with success, it is amazing, i like every part of web interface, very smart. I learned a lot thanks to you.

i am going to backup my datas to some big HDDs (again and this, in opposite direction :( )

Therefore, @ryecoaaron, do you agree with me regarding the use of this card ?

the process to use it would be :

• backup my data
    • delete previous software raid array/volume.
    • shutdown
    • plug card
    • connecting hdds to mini-sas->sata ports
    • power on
    • create Hw raid 5 or ++ array with P410 middleware on boot
    • go to omv 2.2.13 (or 3.0 if i have already migrate).
    • create new volume
    • copying data.

?

is it ok ? do i forget something ?

or should i migrate to 3.x when no data is already present ?

thanks guys for your help and advise. i appreciate.

:)

• Offizieller Beitrag

do you agree with me regarding the use of this card ?

Yes. Your process looks correct. I would definitely use OMV 3.x.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• i was looking for a guide on the forum, how to migrate OMV 2.0 OMV 3.x and i find out some users topics where users asked questions.
    maybe my english is not enough good to understand...
    could you please give me the link for the How-To migrate to OMV 3.0 ?

OMV 3.x yes, i would like to install it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

could you please give me the link for the How-To migrate to OMV 3.0 ?

Make sure your plugins are available on OMV 3.x then omv-release-upgrade

• ok. what is/are the relevant plugin(s) i need ?

for sure i have some troubles to find some guides, because there a a lot of informations and i ve just started to use the forum. So the history has made its job... but for a newbie like me, so many informations kill me :)

edit: in Plugin section on webgui, after check, i can't see OMV 3.0 upgrade or equal... only usbbackup, iscitarget, forkeddaapd, ldap, netatalk and clamav

in your signature, i can see an interesting link, and following it i find a let'encryt plugin, nice. i will install it for sure.

edit 2: i am connected with SSh, i ran "omv-release-upgrade" and it 's in progress.

• OMV 3.0.59 (Erasmus) has been just installed.
    I look the new webgui screens. Migration is ok.

my comments on OMV3.0 if you accept:

• email generating doesn't work because "using TLS/SSL" was not selected after migration.
    • "Update managment" is not translated in french (small stuff)
    • Columns displayed with no adaptation to text width, by default on Logs system menu
    • Download and delete buttons are put to the very right of logs scroll-list
    • Scroll list displays by default 14 rows but with the scroll bar for the last one, why ? should display the full list in one time if there is place, and there is a lot of space ^^

Access to data is working as usual, that is the most important :)

maybe i have to write this in correct section, if interested.

thanks ;)

• hi guys,
    i received yesterday from China, the mini-SAS to Sata cables (~3 weeks).
    During this period, i backup all my datas of my OMV 3.0
    Now, i 'm going to delete file system, raid array, and shut down the Microserv gen8.
    plug my new card, its mini-sas/sata cables and connect HDDs.
    Then, create with HP Smart array P410 card bios, the Raid 5 array (hardware).
    Power on
    see in OMV 3.0 what will happen.
    It is late, i will do this tomorrow.
    If you have advises/ideas to do this in the right way, i will appreciate.
    Thanks

• Hi,

One week ago, i installed my mew HP Smart Array P410 (512Mb) on HP Microserv Gen8 - 8GB Ram, and connected all 4 HDDs with Mini SAS-to-Sata cable (in fact, internal cable and connector were already mini Sata Port and cables, so i didn't need to buy these cables).

I built a new filesystem, with logical volume created by/with P410 firmware.

File Transfert Performances are great, about 113/114MB/s.

so, very nice power.

but, i receive since that day, a lot of email notifications like "Resource limit matched Service xxxxxx " and "Description: loadavg(1min) of 4.7 matches resource limit [loadavg(1min)>4.0]"

i desactivate Audit SMB, and in Notifications menu, 'cpu usage, Load Average, Memory usage, Process monitoring,..." int that way, i did not monitor, so i had not notification.

i had not theses notifications when i used Softaware RAID 5. And i thought with HW raid card, i would not have these messages.

From my PC with SMB or by FTP, LoadAvg in Dashboard is variable between 50 ~100% , so notification is sent.

but why ?

thanks.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!