Raspberry Pi 3 Emergency mode and RAID issues

• Hi every one,

Sorry to start my first post with some help support but I didn't find a presentation thread.

I am running OMV on a Raspberry Pi 3. I use this version: https://sourceforge.net/projec…/Raspberry%20Pi%20images/
    When I run uname -a I got this:

Code
    Linux raspberrypi 4.4.38-v7+ #938 SMP Thu Dec 15 15:22:21 GMT 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux

Yesterday I needed to install lftp on my OMV and the version that I got with apt-get was too old.
    So I started to install the latest by my own. I managed to build it after intsalling a lot of packages, gcc, g++, guitls and a bunch of others that worked with apt-get.

I finaly got everything working and then performed a reboot.
    But since the reboot the OMV is in emergency mode.
    At start I did not noticed it was in emergency and just tought that I had somehow changed my network connection.

So here is my ifconfig:

I also tried omv-firstaid but it is failing with a file or direcory not found.

When I finally understood that I am in emergency I started to look at the journal but frankly I have no idea what to search inside of it: [edit] posting my journal here was too long so I have attached it has a file[/edit]

I have seen in a post that you advise to do a fsck, and I have done it with my Raspian but no errors were found.

I don't really mind installing from scratch OMV, but I have another problem. Two hard drive are connected in a single usb to the Raspberry pie. Each have two partitions (1.5To and 500Go) that are working as RAID mirror. I can still access the 1.5To but when going to /export the folder contening the 500 Go (which contain critical information: my wife's photos) is empty. I have tried plugging the HHDs to my Raspian but it does not reconize them.

And that is the main reason I am trying to fix my OMV and not reinstall, I want to make sure I can still have access to my file before changing it.

Help me ObiWan Kenobi you are my only hope!
    (I am still trying to solve the issue by myself so if I suceed to do anything I will keep you posted)

• After writting all of this am idea came to my mind: maybe the 500Go Raid is not mounted, so I have tired: umount /export/Sync and it told me that indeed my RAID is not mounted. While /export/Mirror is mounted.
    I havce created my RAIDs using mdadm and not the GUI and I remember using /dev/md0 and /dev/md1.

But /dev/md0 doesn't not exist anymore.

What comes to my mind is to use mdadm to create it but I am affraid that I might be losing any data by doing so.
    Is it safe for me ?
    Will this solve my problem?

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

Four things:

1 - You might have installed something that conflicted with the OMV install especially if you started compiling things.

2 - raid on usb drives is problematic

3 - raid on RPis is even more problematic.

4 - raid is not backup.

You need to post some screenshots of the errors while booting before it goes into emergency mode. To fix the raid, I recommend plugging the drives into a real system.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I agree with your 1.
    About 2 and 3, performances are enough for me and this is the best economical way I found.
    About 4, that's why I needed lftp, to do backups on a distant ftp.

I have some errors while booting but the display is way to quick for me to take a picture. The info I provided ifconfig and journal were taken by plugging a disk on key, I have no idea how to redirect boot info to a file.

Finally you didn't answer the most critical question, am I able to use mdadm to recreate the same raid and don't lose data? Because I know I will have to re-install and prepared to it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

About 2 and 3, performances are enough for me and this is the best economical way I found.

It isn't about performance or economics. mdadm raid has too many problems assembling on each boot and you probably will end up losing data. Just a warning...

I have no idea how to redirect boot info to a file.

Look in /var/log/. boot.log and messages are useful.

Finally you didn't answer the most critical question, am I able to use mdadm to recreate the same raid and don't lose data?

I did answer the best I could with the information I have. You need to plug them into a non-RPi system running Linux (even booted to a live cd works) to try and fix the array. Based on some more results from doing that, I can answer the rest. If you "recreate" it, you will lose data. If you re-assemble it, you might be able to access the data.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Hi,

I have booted a laptop with an ubuntu in usb and managed to force mdadm to mount the damaged partition. You gave me this idea so thank you.
    I am currently copying all my data.

Is there a way to have a stable OMV on RPi ? Again I do not care a lot about performance.
    This time I won't be adding anything execpt from known repository, I'll do the lftp thing on my Raspian (I have two RPis).

Thanks for the help.

ps1: I did not found the /var/log.boot.log or anything similar, but now that I will access my data I do not care anymore about fixing it.
    ps2: I have seen a lot of people posting pictures of screen because they had not network, do you want me to write a tutorial explaining how to mount an usb drive and redirect output to a file?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there a way to have a stable OMV on RPi ?

I think OMV on an RPi is fairly stable. I don't know if raid will ever be stable on OMV on an RPi.

do you want me to write a tutorial explaining how to mount an usb drive and redirect output to a file?

Sure. Tutorials are good. Not like we have too much documentation around here :D

• Hi,
    I'm quite a newby and I've come across multiple posts where you insist of rpi and usb being problematic and that RAID is not a backup solution.
    I'm quite confused, how is RAID not a backup solution? I had just got 3 x 3TB HDDs and was planing to make a RAID5, only to realize it would be a bad idea...

So assuming I wish to have a form of backup (mirroring or something similar to RAID5 with 3 HDDs), and knowing I run rpi3 and all is connected via USB, is there any simple alternative? I read a bit about "rsync" but this is WAY too advanced for me. Is their like a plugin which would allow me to mirror/backup my disks?

Thanks a lot!

• RAID is for high availability, not for backup. It allows users to keep on working, and rebuild the array, after a drive failure.

It is not a backup because it doesn't protect your data from: user error, malware/viruses, file corruption, power surges, hardware failures (other than individual drives), OS failures, fire, flooding, theft, etc...

Also, during the rebuild, your data is at risk of a second drive failure and then you lose data.

So RAID is not backup. Backup is a second set of your data, preferably on another device, preferably off-site, preferably with periodicity, but absolutely not in real-time sync with the primary set of data.

Rsync is NOT complicated. It's just a command that copies files from one location to another. You specify the source folder and the destination folder. There is an rsync plugin in OMV that allows you to set up an automatic rsync job on a periodic basis.

• Thank you for replying!

I think I'm getting your point of RAID being more for availability rather than backup.
    I gave up on trying given that it is not the proper method to backup to start with and the fact it's not recommended for RPI and USB HDDs.

Thank you for pointing out the Rsync plugin built-in! I never noticed it before and it does seem to be -hopefully- easy to use! For some reason I was youtubing it and probably watched some backup method between different units over wifi or something, THAT was quite complicated. I think using Rsync is my best option to backup one hard disk to another every 24hrs.

One final question: how effective is the compression option for Rsync? Could I use let's say 2 x 3TB HDDs to a single 3TB HDD with compression, or I'm being unrealistic here?

Thanks a lot!

• Compression efficiency depends on the type of data. Media content is usually highly compressed already, so you won't gain anything by running it through another compression mechanism. Plain text files, raw bitmaps, uncompressed wav files are the sort of data that benefit from compression.

• Compression efficiency depends on the type of data. Media content is usually highly compressed already, so you won't gain anything by running it through another compression mechanism. Plain text files, raw bitmaps, uncompressed wav files are the sort of data that benefit from compression.

I see. Then probably useless for me given I'm using it mostly for movies.

I have just setup Rsync and I have to admit it was very simple, as opposed to what I initially thought.'

HOWEVER, it does not run automatically. I'm using the GUI (never used ssh) and clicked the "ever N minutes" and set it to 2 minutes just to try. It does not do anything no matter how long I wait. But If I manually click the "run" button, it does the job perfectly.

Any idea why it's not doing it on its own? Should I try calling it using the "scheduled jobs" option? What would be the command to put?

Thanks a lot for your help :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Any idea why it's not doing it on its own? Should I try calling it using the "scheduled jobs" option? What would be the command to put?

No. This is avoiding the problem. Your settings aren't doing what you expect them to do but that doesn't mean it is broken. You just need to get your settings right. I definitely would not run it every two minutes. If you added a lot of large files, it might not be done before the next run.

HOWEVER, it does not run automatically. I'm using the GUI (never used ssh) and clicked the "ever N minutes" and set it to 2 minutes just to try. It does not do anything no matter how long I wait.

What did you set the hour, day, and month fields too? If you really wanted to run it every 2 minutes, they should be set to *

• No. This is avoiding the problem. Your settings aren't doing what you expect them to do but that doesn't mean it is broken. You just need to get your settings right. I definitely would not run it every two minutes. If you added a lot of large files, it might not be done before the next run.

What did you set the hour, day, and month fields too? If you really wanted to run it every 2 minutes, they should be set to *

Thank you for the reply.
    Actually I'm not really planing to make it every 2 minutes, but using 2 minutes now just for testing. Once I make sure it works I'll make it daily or something similar.

I made sure the * is selected but it's still not doing it. I attached screenshots of my settings if you could please have a look and advise me? Again, pressing the run button does the work perfectly but it's not triggered on its own.

• Offizieller Beitrag

How do you know it isn't working on your end? Did you check the rsync jobs logs? It is working on my system and creating the correct cron entry.

• How do you know it isn't working on your end? Did you check the rsync jobs logs? It is working on my system and creating the correct cron entry.

I know because my 2 hard disks are empty except for couple files which I am using to test the function... I put the file in HDD1 and wait for few minutes then check HDD2: if they're not copied then it didn't work. Isn't this the correct way of checking it?

I have not checked the log, and I did start with a new fresh copy of OMV hoping it solves the problem. I will soon try rsync again. If it doesn't work, I'll make sure to copy the log.

Thank you for the help!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Isn't this the correct way of checking it?

I looked at the logs first and I had it set to send me an email with output of what it did.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!