Understanding Drivepooling Options for Linux

• As an absolute Linux user, I am still getting to grips with the way Linux works and the options available.

I am currently experimenting with pooling my hard drives, to be used as a single hard drives - I am only interested in pooling them in the way that whole files are sent to either disk, whereby if a single disk fails, the files on the other hard drives remain intact (I think this is referred to as JBOD as opposed to Raid).

From what I have read, there appear to be at least four methods of bunching drives together in this way - mergerfs, aufs, mhddfs and untionffs.

Could someone possibly help me understand what the difference between them is?

Are these programs for grouping the harddrives or is it a filesystem for doing so - I note that they all end in "fs", which presumably stands for file system?

Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is very simple. Use the unionfilesystem plugin and the only option (with OMV 3.x anyway) is mergerfs. aufs isn't supported in the latest debian kernels. mhddfs development stopped and unionfs is very old. mergerfs is actively developed and works well.

mergerfs (and the others you listed) all work on top of a normal filesystem. They just determine which disk files are read from and written to. They should do exactly what you want. I would start with the default options and then read the documentation for other options if it is working how you want.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

So the four I mentioned above are all examples of unionfilesystems?

Yes.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!