mount usb hdd raspberry pi NAS

• I have installed OMV version 3.0.59 on a raspberry pi 3.

My intent is to replace my existing NAS with the pi and 2 external usb hdd. I have 2 usb hdd (called drive 1 & drive 2) attached via a powered usb hub . All works fine in that I can view the drives create NFS shares & access from local network.

I have noticed when I reboot sometimes Drive 1 is /dev/sda and other times it is /dev/sdb.

Would it be better to mount the drives in fstab using their UID ?

cheers

• Thats a anoying problem and using the uid in fstab would indeed solve the problem. But it bypassed the omv configuration. If I'm not mistaken omv stores your drives also in some kind of a xml file to be aware of them. This might give trouble later on.

I've only recently migrated from debian to omv so not sure how to fix this. You could search for "openmediavault mount usb drive UID". This probably would give a similar exeriences and poblems. Kinda interested myself since my remote backup is using a pi 3 to that soon needs a second drive.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Would it be better to mount the drives in fstab using their UID ?

OMV always uses the UUID in fstab. Can you post your fstab?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Ok here's my fstab and I see they are listed here

I can see both disks being mounted here the UID ending "b5e" is my WD Passport USB which is currently on /dev/sda this is where I want it to stay.
    The other usb drive on /dev/sdb UID ends "0b8"
    Is it jusst a question of moving the position in fstab to ensure they keep the same dev ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is it jusst a question of moving the position in fstab to ensure they keep the same dev ?

No. Position doesn't mean anything. Everything looks fine and drive letters changing shouldn't affect your fstab.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• oh ok so so long as fstab is good the dev letter assignment does not matter if it changes, the reason I ask is I tried plugging in another usb drive and the dev letters all change.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Shouldn't cause a problem. Your fstab (and all OMV) use UUIDs. Those don't change unless your re-format the drive.

• I have the same issue.

latest image just downloaded and installed and on my zeroW and pi3 is gives an error after start and goes back to CLI login.

Oh and just checked root: I can login but not GUI.

I did see some faults during initial startup but I could not see what was not loading correctly.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!